Newbie
Horst Kern
2017-01-30 23:36:13 UTC
Hello there,

please do not be too unkind with me, if I ask a dumb question.

My new Canon Pixma Scanner 5751 does not work with the scanner programs
like simple-scan on my Ubuntu Linux.

I turned on debugging and found many lines like this:

[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of pixma to 21.
[pixma] pixma is compiled with pthread support.
[pixma] pixma version 0.17.18
[pixma] Scanner model MP150(Canon PIXMA MP150) not found, giving up!
MG5700 series
[pixma] Scanner model MP170(Canon PIXMA MP170) not found, giving up!
MG5700 series

I downloaded the latest sane backend: sane-backends-e3ed043

In the code I found, that MG5700 is listed.

Is there any way to install the update, or do I need to compile from
source? (Did not do that for a long time!)

Best Regards,
Horst.
Louis Lagendijk
2017-02-06 18:57:52 UTC
Post by Horst Kern
Hello there,
please do not be too unkind with me, if I ask a dumb question.
My new Canon Pixma Scanner 5751 does not work with the scanner
programs
like simple-scan on my Ubuntu Linux.
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of pixma to 21.
[pixma] pixma is compiled with pthread support.
[pixma] pixma version 0.17.18
[pixma] Scanner model MP150(Canon PIXMA MP150) not found, giving up!
MG5700 series
[pixma] Scanner model MP170(Canon PIXMA MP170) not found, giving up!
MG5700 series
I downloaded the latest sane backend: sane-backends-e3ed043
In the code I found, that MG5700 is listed.
Is there any way to install the update, or do I need to compile from
source? (Did not do that for a long time!)
Best Regards,
Horst.
Hi Horst
You need an updated package, so recompiling may be the way to go. If
you are on Ubuntu, Rof Bensch's PPA (see https://launchpad.net/~rolfben
sch/+archive/ubuntu/sane-git) may help you. Otherwise check the
INSTALL.LINUX.

BR, louis
Horst Kern
2017-02-09 00:07:19 UTC
Post by Louis Lagendijk
Post by Horst Kern
[...]
Thanks Louis for the hints.

I did not want to have much effort, so I did not install the
USB-sources, although it might be dangerous. I expect to have the
expected support in one of the next official Ubuntu updates. So I did it
quick and dirty. Later I found a German description, for what to do, but
it seems slightly more complicated.
https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/SANE/Kompilieren/

So what I did after the download and extract (which I had done before to
check the sources for string "MG5700 series").

cd sane-backends-e3ed043

./configure
make

I read PROBLEMS, because that is what they tell you during compilation.

As root:
make install

"Remove" current sane libs:

(Which are not in /usr/lib, as described in the README file. In the file
INSTALL there is more accurate information. The dynamic solution in the
INSTALL.linux was too complicated for me.)

mkdir /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/xxxsane
cd /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
mv sane xxxsane
mv libsane.so.1.0.25 xxxsane
mv libsane.so.1 xxxsane

As normal user:
Add installation dir to library search path:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

It worked.
So I added this last line to my .bashrc

Many thanks to the developers of the sane software.

Best Regards,
Horst.