CanoScan 9000F not recognized on Lubuntu
Add Reply
Jonathan Barés
2017-03-30 19:04:37 UTC
Hi all,

After googling for hours I still do not understand why my CanoScan 9000F
MarkII is not recognized by my Lubuntu computer (14.04 kernel) and am
hoping some of you could help with this.

When I run sane-find-scanner I get:

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

# No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
# you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and
have setup
# the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.
# SANE has been built without libusb support. This may be a reason
# for not detecting USB scanners. Read README for more details.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
ports
# can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
# necessary.

I have tried to add the rule:
# Canon CanoScan 9000F Mark II
ATTR{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTR{idProduct}=="190d", MODE="0664",
GROUP="scaner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes
in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-CanonScan.rules but still get the same problem.

I am really surprised because the scanner seems to be seen by the
computer when I run lsusb:
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04a9:190d Canon, Inc. CanoScan 9000F Mark II
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 1c4f:0048 SiGma Micro
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 413c:2107 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Here is also my version of sane:
xsane-0.998 (c) 1998-2010 Oliver Rauch
Courrier électronique : ***@xsane.org
paquet xsane-0.996
compilé avec GTK-2.24.18
avec fonction de gestion de la couleur
avec support GIMP, compilé avec GIMP-2.8.4
Formats de sortie de XSane : jpeg, pdf(compr.), png, pnm, ps(compr.),
tiff, txt

If anybody has an idea of what is happening I would be extremelly happy
to have some help.
I thank you in advance.
Best,
Jonathan
m. allan noah
2017-03-30 20:24:00 UTC
What version of sane-backends are you running? It might be called
libsane on your system.

allan

m. allan noah
2017-03-31 11:18:48 UTC
What version number of libsane?

allan

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 1:57 AM, Jonathan Barés
Hi Allan,
Yes it is libsane.
Thanks,
Jonathan
Jonathan Barés

to sane-d
Roger
2017-03-30 23:53:06 UTC
If you do not use any network scanners or any other scanners besides the Canon
9000f, just enable the pixma driver provided by sane-backends package.

$ cat /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
pixma

media-gfx/sane-backends-1.0.25-r1
media-gfx/sane-frontends-1.0.14
media-gfx/xsane-0.999-r2

And of course, make sure you have the scanner turned on prior to starting
XSane.

If this all fails, try using another USB port. Although I've yet to hear of
any USB problems with this canon scanner.

My bets are on, omitting the "pixma" driver within the dll.conf or less likely,
sane-backends version. Or maybe sane-backends is not even installed.
sane-frontends provides some additional GUI frontends including the Gimp
scanning plugin.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/