pixma backend: -x/y auto advertised but not available / how to crop?
Add Reply
Manuel Reiter
2017-04-11 14:44:19 UTC
I'm using saned with a Pixma MP610 all-in-one on a Raspberry Pi 3
running an up-to-date Rasbian Jessie. scanimage --help shows me the
following options for Geometry:

[...]
Options specific to device `net:localhost:pixma:04A91725_414EE7':
[...]
Geometry:
-l auto|0..216.069mm [0]
Top-left x position of scan area.
-t auto|0..297.011mm [0]
Top-left y position of scan area.
-x auto|0..216.069mm [216.069]
Width of scan-area.
-y auto|0..297.011mm [297.011]
Height of scan-area.
[...]

However, trying to actually use "-x auto" results in an error:

------snip
***@hive:~ $ scanimage -d net:localhost:pixma --mode Color \
--resolution 300 -l auto -t auto -x auto -y auto > /dev/null
scanimage: option --x: bad option value (rest of option: auto)
------snip

Is this a bug or an error on my part?

I intend to use this scanner for a document management system and expect
to scan quite a number of non-full-size documents. If x/y auto is indeed
not available, what would be a good way to automatically crop my scans?
The included (Mac) Software actually does a decent job so it seems to be
possible.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Cheers,

Manuel
Manuel Reiter
2017-04-27 21:05:42 UTC
Nobody? I found this old discussion which seems to suggest the pixma devices don't support auto-detection:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2009-December/025674.html

If that's indeed the case, may I suggest updating the pixma backend so that it doesn't advertise capabilities that don't exist?

Also, I'd still appreciate suggestion for a scriptable approach to achieve this functionality.

Thanks,

Manuel
Post by Manuel Reiter
[...]
[...]
m. allan noah
2017-04-29 01:49:10 UTC
That 'auto' string is put there by scanimage, when it finds an option
with the SANE_CAP_AUTOMATIC capability set. Unfortunately, scanimage
has some special handling for the x/y/t/l parameters. It appears that
-l and -t will properly parse the 'auto' string, but -x and -y will
not. This is a bug in scanimage, specifically in parse_vector().

If the pixma devices are unable to detect paper width in hardware, the
SANE_CAP_AUTOMATIC cap should be removed from those options. Or, the
pixma backend could be extended to use sanei_magic library, which
other backends use to add features like deskew and crop.

Outside of modifying sane-backends, you might look at the program
unpaper for post-processing the images.

allan
Post by Manuel Reiter
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2009-December/025674.html
If that's indeed the case, may I suggest updating the pixma backend so that it doesn't advertise capabilities that don't exist?
Also, I'd still appreciate suggestion for a scriptable approach to achieve this functionality.
Thanks,
Manuel
Post by Manuel Reiter
[...]