Canon Pixma MG5450 works fine
Christian Weiske
2017-03-02 19:45:14 UTC
Hi,

I just wanted to tell you that scanning with a Canon Pixma MG5450 works
fine here on Ubuntu 16.04 with libsane 1.0.25+git20150528-1ubuntu2.

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html still shows it as "untested".
--
Regards/Mit freundlichen GrÌßen
Christian Weiske

-=≡ Geeking around in the name of science since 1982 ≡=-
Olaf Meeuwissen
2017-03-05 11:07:01 UTC
Hi Christian,
Post by Christian Weiske
I just wanted to tell you that scanning with a Canon Pixma MG5450 works
fine here on Ubuntu 16.04 with libsane 1.0.25+git20150528-1ubuntu2.
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html still shows it as "untested".
That list is for the status of 1.0.25 but the list for the latest code
in the git repository[1] shows the same.

[1] http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-mfgs-cvs.html#Z-CANON

I'm assuming you are talking about the entry fro Pixma MG5400 Series.
Is that correct?

Also, how would you rate the support based on the following (from the
doc/descriptions.txt file):

`:untested' means the device may be supported but couldn't be
tested. `:minimal' means that the device is detected and scans at
least in one mode. But the quality is bad or important features won't
work. `:basic' means it works at least in the most important modes but
quality is not perfect. `:good' means the device is usable for
day-to-day work. Some rather exotic features may be
missing. `:complete' means the backends supports everything the device
can do.

I'll update the relevant file with your feedback.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2 FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
GnuPG key: F84A2DD9/B3C0 2F47 EA19 64F4 9F13 F43E B8A4 A88A F84A 2DD9
Christian Weiske
2017-03-05 16:54:03 UTC
Hello Olaf,
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Post by Christian Weiske
I just wanted to tell you that scanning with a Canon Pixma MG5450
works fine here on Ubuntu 16.04 with libsane
1.0.25+git20150528-1ubuntu2.
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html still shows it as
"untested".
That list is for the status of 1.0.25 but the list for the latest code
in the git repository[1] shows the same.
[1] http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-mfgs-cvs.html#Z-CANON
I'm assuming you are talking about the entry fro Pixma MG5400 Series.
Is that correct?
Yes.
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Also, how would you rate the support based on the following (from the
`:untested' means the device may be supported but couldn't be
tested. `:minimal' means that the device is detected and scans at
least in one mode. But the quality is bad or important features
won't work. `:basic' means it works at least in the most important
modes but quality is not perfect. `:good' means the device is usable
for day-to-day work. Some rather exotic features may be
missing. `:complete' means the backends supports everything the
device can do.
It's "good". I don't know about complete since I only scanned a few
documents.

Olaf Meeuwissen
2017-03-06 12:17:19 UTC
Hi Christian,

Thanks for the feedback.
Post by Christian Weiske
[...]
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Also, how would you rate the support based on the following (from the
`:untested' means the device may be supported but couldn't be
tested. `:minimal' means that the device is detected and scans at
least in one mode. But the quality is bad or important features
won't work. `:basic' means it works at least in the most important
modes but quality is not perfect. `:good' means the device is usable
for day-to-day work. Some rather exotic features may be
missing. `:complete' means the backends supports everything the
device can do.
It's "good". I don't know about complete since I only scanned a few
documents.
Updating descriptions/pixma.desc, I noticed that most of the MG* Series
have a comment about the (maximum) resolution(s) that work okay. If you
have any info on that I'll add that before I push the changes.

Hope this helps,
Christian Weiske
2017-03-06 20:29:27 UTC
Hello Olaf,
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Updating descriptions/pixma.desc, I noticed that most of the MG*
Series have a comment about the (maximum) resolution(s) that work
okay. If you have any info on that I'll add that before I push the
changes.
I could scan with 2400dpi.

Olaf Meeuwissen
2017-03-07 11:14:35 UTC
Hi Christian,
Post by Christian Weiske
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Updating descriptions/pixma.desc, I noticed that most of the MG*
Series have a comment about the (maximum) resolution(s) that work
okay. If you have any info on that I'll add that before I push the
changes.
I could scan with 2400dpi.
Thanks, I'll be pushing a changeset shortly, that makes the entry look
as follows:

:model "PIXMA MG5400 Series"
:interface "USB"
:usbid "0x04a9" "0x1764"
:status :good
:comment "All resolutions supported (up to 2400DPI)."

Hope that helps,