ScanSnap S1100 on Linux Mint
Crusader
2017-06-18 19:14:03 UTC
Hello,

A summary of my request is provided below. Details of my efforts and
support are available here
<https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=247495>. The helpful
person assisting me, pdc_2, suggested I join this mailing list. This
request is from a user perspective.

I am using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, Cinnamon Version 2.8.8. I have
a ScanSnap S1100 scanner that I use without a problem in Windows 7 on my
dual OS laptop. Scanning documents is one of the very few times I open
Windows; I would like to be able to scan documents in Linux Mint so I don't
have to deal with Windows. I am requesting assistance in getting Linux
Mint to work with my ScanSnap S1100. I will be happy to post details as
needed.

All support will be greatly appreciated!
m. allan noah
2017-06-22 12:20:46 UTC
I've tried to follow your posts at the linux mint forums, and it looks
like much of it works, but I don't know exactly what you have done. A
few things come to mind:

1. scanimage -L wont scan, by definition it just lists the available scanners.
2. run 'scanimage > test.pnm' and see if you get an image called
test.pnm in the current directory.
3. run 'SANE_DEBUG_EPJITSU=5 scanimage -L' and send the output text to
this list- I want to see what version of sane you are running.

allan
Post by Crusader
Hello,
A summary of my request is provided below. Details of my efforts and
support are available here. The helpful person assisting me, pdc_2,
Crusader
2017-06-22 23:46:14 UTC
Thank you for the response, Allan.

The following are Terminal outputs based on commands you suggested:

1. scanimage -L wont scan, by definition it just lists the available
scanners.
***@a-UL80VT ~ $ scanimage -L
device `epjitsu:libusb:002:004' is a FUJITSU ScanSnap S1100 scanner

*As you stated.*

2. run 'scanimage > test.pnm' and see if you get an image called
test.pnm in the current directory.
***@a-UL80VT ~ $ scanimage > test.pnm
scanimage: sane_start: Out of memory

*No other output - image or otherwise.*

3. run 'SANE_DEBUG_EPJITSU=5 scanimage -L' and send the output text to
this list- I want to see what version of sane you are running.
***@a-UL80VT ~ $ SANE_DEBUG_EPJITSU=5 scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of epjitsu to 5.
[epjitsu] sane_init: epjitsu backend 1.0.20, from sane-backends 1.0.23
[epjitsu] load_fw: firmware already loaded?
device `epjitsu:libusb:002:004' is a FUJITSU ScanSnap S1100 scanner

Your support is greatly appreciated!
of my hand"
m. allan noah
2017-06-23 01:02:42 UTC
Post by m. allan noah
3. run 'SANE_DEBUG_EPJITSU=5 scanimage -L' and send the output text to
this list- I want to see what version of sane you are running.
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of epjitsu to 5.
[epjitsu] sane_init: epjitsu backend 1.0.20, from sane-backends 1.0.23
[epjitsu] load_fw: firmware already loaded?
device `epjitsu:libusb:002:004' is a FUJITSU ScanSnap S1100 scanner
Well, there is your problem, you are running an ancient version of
sane-backends, which does not support this scanner fully. You will
need to upgrade to something more recent. 1.0.25 was the first version
that supported this scanner, but 1.0.27 would be better, as it
contains some fixes. You should see if your distro has some kind of
updated package you could load. If not, you will have to compile from
source, which is more complicated.

allan
of my hand"
Crusader
2017-06-23 11:41:41 UTC
Thank you for identifying the problem, Allan. Your finding brings me very
close to resolving the issue.

My distro (Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, Cinnamon Version 2.8.8) does
not have an update to sane-backends version 1.0.27, and as you pointed out,
compiling is complicated (I tried it). I am open to suggestions.

In the interim, I will take this issue back to the Linux Mint forum and see
if I can get further help there.

of my hand"
abel deuring
2017-06-23 12:17:52 UTC
Post by Crusader
Thank you for identifying the problem, Allan. Your finding brings me
very close to resolving the issue.
My distro (Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, Cinnamon Version 2.8.8) does
not have an update to sane-backends version 1.0.27, and as you pointed
out, compiling is complicated (I tried it). I am open to suggestions.
Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, Rolf Bensch's PPA can help you:

https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+archive/ubuntu/sane-release

It provides the most recent Sane release. Just follow the instructions
"Adding this PPA to your system" from that page and then run

sudo apt-get upgrade

Abel
Crusader
2017-06-24 00:37:08 UTC
Continued support is greatly appreciated.

I installed the update as suggested above. After that, I ran the following
programs with the results shown:

From the Xsane Image scanning program, I continue to get the "Failed to
start scanner: Out of memory" message.

From the Simple Scan program, I got the message, "Failed to scan Unable
to start scan."

From the gscan2pdf v1.2.3, I got the message, "Out of Memory."

Since I was getting the same errors, I ran the "SANE_DEBUG_EPJITSU=5
scanimage -L" command and realized the sane-backends version had not
upgraded (still showed "sane-backends 1.0.23"). Since I wasn't sure about
how to "install" the new version, I checked Rolf Bensch website which had
an installation link, which brought me to the "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"
command - which I (foolishly?) ran. Seemingly, this is upgrading the whole
distro. The "upgrade" continues as I write (has been running for quite a
while). I am not sure what I did. When the upgrade completes (and I come
out alive), I will run the version command to see if the sane-backends
version also updated (among the seemingly million things). I said "No" to
many installation options (have no idea what they meant), but did say "Yes"
to installing the new sane-backends version.

I will update you on the outcome of the sane-backends version; however, now
the question is: what am I updating, do I need it, and is this going to
harm my laptop (and me)?
--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the
edge
of my hand"
Crusader
2017-06-24 01:12:24 UTC
My post upgrade update can be found here
<https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=247495&p=1332931#p1332931>
.
Post by Crusader
Continued support is greatly appreciated.
I installed the update as suggested above. After that, I ran the following
From the Xsane Image scanning program, I continue to get the "Failed
to start scanner: Out of memory" message.
From the Simple Scan program, I got the message, "Failed to scan
Unable to start scan."
From the gscan2pdf v1.2.3, I got the message, "Out of Memory."
of my hand"
m. allan noah
2017-06-24 01:33:53 UTC
You may need to re-install the firmware file now.

allan
Post by Crusader
Continued support is greatly appreciated.
I installed the update as suggested above. After that, I ran the following
From the Xsane Image scanning program, I continue to get the "Failed to
start scanner: Out of memory" message.
From the Simple Scan program, I got the message, "Failed to scan Unable to
start scan."
From the gscan2pdf v1.2.3, I got the message, "Out of Memory."
Crusader
2017-06-24 02:34:27 UTC
All 3 scanning programs mentioned above now work (on LInux Mint); gscan2pdf
v1.2.3 offers the best (pdf) image.

Thank you to all who contributed to the solution!
Post by Crusader
Continued support is greatly appreciated.
I installed the update as suggested above. After that, I ran the
following
Post by Crusader
From the Xsane Image scanning program, I continue to get the "Failed to
start scanner: Out of memory" message.
From the Simple Scan program, I got the message, "Failed to scan Unable
Post by Crusader
start scan."
From the gscan2pdf v1.2.3, I got the message, "Out of Memory."
Post by Crusader
installing the new sane-backends version.
I will update you on the outcome of the sane-backends version; however,
now the question is: what am I updating, do I need it, and is this
going to
Post by Crusader
harm my laptop (and me)?
Post by Crusader
Post by Crusader
Post by Crusader
Post by Crusader
of my hand"
Jeff
2017-06-25 09:27:45 UTC
Post by Crusader
All 3 scanning programs mentioned above now work (on LInux Mint);
gscan2pdf v1.2.3 offers the best (pdf) image.
That version of gscan2pdf is 3.5 years old. I suggest you upgrade to a
newer version. v1.8.2 was released three weeks ago.

Regards

Jeff