Canon LiDE 220
Torsten Mohr
2017-01-08 15:44:26 UTC
Hello,

I bought the Canon LiDE 220, it is documented that it is fully supported by
the genesys backend:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON

All the following steps I did as root to get around access right problems.

lsusb gives me VID / PID as 0x04A9 / 0x190F,
so i added one line to /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf:

usb 0x04a9 0x190f

sane-find-scanner gives me (full output):
# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x1b1c [Corsair Components, Inc.], product=0x0c02
[H80iGT Cooler]) at libusb:001:002
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x190f [CanoScan],
chip=GL848+) at libusb:001:006
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported
by

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

So the scanner is found.

But scanimage -L gives me:

I use OpenSuse 42.2, the installed versions are (only the relevant lines):
rpm -qa | grep sane

xsane-0.998-26.5.x86_64
sane-backends-1.0.24-4.40.x86_64
sane-backends-32bit-1.0.24-4.40.x86_64
sane-backends-autoconfig-1.0.24-4.40.x86_64

I wonder what I need to do to get the LiDE 220 working.

Thanks for any hints,
Torsten
Johannes Meixner
2017-01-09 10:53:03 UTC
Hello,
Post by Torsten Mohr
I bought the Canon LiDE 220, it is documented that it is
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON
It is documented to be supported by
the current SANE release 1.0.25.
Post by Torsten Mohr
sane-backends-1.0.24-4.40.x86_64
sane-backends-32bit-1.0.24-4.40.x86_64
sane-backends-autoconfig-1.0.24-4.40.x86_64
Accordingly I would first and foremost upgrade
to the current SANE release 1.0.25.

See
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)
Torsten Mohr
2017-01-10 18:09:07 UTC
Hello,

it is not yet working, here is what I did so far:

In /etc/udev/rules.d/55-libsane.rules:
# Canon LiDE 220 USB Scanner
ATTR{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTR{idProduct}=="190f", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes",
RUN+="/tmp/canon_script.sh"

In /tmp/canon_script.sh:
#! /bin/bash

date > /tmp/canon.txt
env >> /tmp/canon.txt

When plugging the scanner in then /tmp/canon.txt is created with the expected
content, so udev seems to work as expected.

I downloaded sane-backends-1.0.25
mv /usr/lib/sane /usr/lib/sane.old
mv /usr/lib64/sane /usr/lib64/sane.old
In sane-backends-1.0.25:
configure --prefix=/usr, make, make install

Still scanimage -L does not find anything.

Then I tried strace -e open scanimage -L 2>log.txt

In log.txt i see that /usr/etc/sane.d/genesys.conf is opened and in there are
some mappings of VID/PID.
I added:
usb 0x04a9 0x190f

Still no success.