Brother MFC-5840CN
Andre
2017-02-22 23:04:45 UTC
I have installed the Brother MFC-5840CN driver and iot does see it as a
scanner and as a printer.

But everytime i try to scan i get an error can't connect to scanner.

in the terminal i checked it with scanimage -l and this is the result:

# scanimage -L
device `brother2:bus3;dev2' is a Brother MFC-5840CN USB scanner
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname HP Webcam [2 MP Fixed] virtual device
Joseph Simone
2017-03-05 14:30:27 UTC
Hi Andre!

I have a brother mfc9340cdw, and my laptop detects the webcam as well. You must use scanimage --device "brother2:bus3;dev2". Otherwise, sane does not know what to choose. It's also important to specify your source, and indicate with your scan command, duplex, color, or flatbed scan.

On my machine, I run scanimage --device "brother4:net1;dev0" --source "Black & White(Duplex)" -b $(date)%d.tif --format tiff

Or just use xsane and click on your device using the radio button, save yourself from carpal tunnel syndrome.
-Joe
Joseph Simone