Canon TS5050
Add Reply
Peter Saunderson
2017-08-27 20:24:45 UTC
Hi,

Commit 62fcf80 in sane-backends is marked as TS5000 Series working but
WiFi not working.

A few questions:

1/ I have build main latest 9b95970.. am I likely to damage my new
TS5050 by exceeding the physical scan area height.. I would not like to
damage my new printer / scanner!

2/ I have the scanner connected via wifi on a different subnet in a
different room.. will this work or do I have to connect locally with USB?

3/ What is stopping wifi from working? Is there something I could do to
update the software to support wifi or is this a big job?

4/ What is a good way to test this sane version with the TS5050 so that
we can mark the version tested with TS5050?

Thanks,

Peter.
Curtis Graham
2017-08-27 22:09:13 UTC
Hi Peter,

I will try to help, but compared to others here I am pretty much a newb. I
don't know what Linux ver. you are running so things could be different.

Look here for a general way of setting up for wifi.
https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork
Look at the part:
Configuration of SANE on the Client
so basically you need to have libsane and saned installed and modify the
net.conf file.
This is all assuming that you have had your scanner working on a usb
connection. (that just proves that the backends work with your scanner.)
I do recommend that you use a static IP address for your scanner that way
there is no problems in the future.

Curtis
Peter Saunderson
2017-08-28 07:57:51 UTC
Thank you all for your help. I see in the file cnijifnet.c that the
discovery process uses broadcast:
if (CNNL_SearchPrintersEx(hmdl, nic, CACHE_PATH, max, &found,
CNNET_SEARCH_BROADCAST, 1, (installer==1)? 5000:3000) == CNNL_RET_SUCCESS){

And that the library used is provided as a binary from Canon. So the
Canon provided drivers will never work across a router that does not
forward the necessary broadcast packets.

As the backend (https://github.com/Ordissimo/scangearmp2) is built on
the same Canon drivers then the discovery will also not work across
subnets as I have discovered. I did start with the printer on the same
subnet and the discovery did work ok so I know that that is ok on same
subnet.

So my plan is to use the printer on the same subnet as the PC... I might
explore explicit IP address URI bjnp://<ip_address> a bit more if I have
time but for now I plan to keep it simple!

Thank you again for your assistance.

Peter.
I can view the printer / scanner page at http://192.168.0.15 and can
lpadmin -p TS5050LAN -v socket://192.168.0.15 -P
/etc/cups/ppd/TS5050.ppd
I cant use the provided Canon drivers because the "scan" function
does not scan the remote subnet 192.168.0.0 only the local subnet
192.169.0. This is not a network problem, more a scanning problem!
With sane I am hoping to use the sane setup with explicit IP address
bjnp://<ip_address>
If https://github.com/Ordissimo/scangearmp2 provides this URI support
then I think it will work for me! Forgive me if I am off track here..
I am new to sane and scanning..
Peter.
Thanks for your prompt response. scangearmp2 does not appear to
discover devices on different subnets so my printer, installed on a
different subnet is not found. I looked to see if there was a way
specify the IP address "scangearmp2 ip=192.168.0.15" for example but
can see that the source code does not provide such an interface.
Looking to make this work for me with my scanner on a different
subnet...
Peter.
Hi,
Commit 62fcf80 in sane-backends is marked as TS5000 Series working but
WiFi not working.
1/ I have build main latest 9b95970.. am I likely to damage my new
TS5050 by exceeding the physical scan area height.. I would not like
to damage my new printer / scanner!
2/ I have the scanner connected via wifi on a different subnet in a
different room.. will this work or do I have to connect locally with
USB?
3/ What is stopping wifi from working? Is there something I could
do
to update the software to support wifi or is this a big job?
4/ What is a good way to test this sane version with the TS5050 so
that we can mark the version tested with TS5050?
Thanks,
Peter.
Good evening,
https://github.com/Ordissimo/scangearmp2
https://github.com/Ordissimo/scangearmp2/releases
it works with scanimage and xsane. Your Model is supported.
It is more a problem of network, it is necessary that your scanner is
visible on your pc. Whatever the sub-network
I am surprised that scangearmp2 does not find your scanner.
Can you put on the same network your scanner and test again.
The idea is whether your installation works.
The sane pixma backend, do not support the wifi of your model. It does
not know how to communicate with your device.
The current solution for you is the canon drivers.
https://github.com/Ordissimo/scangearmp2/releases
echo "canon_pixma" >> /etc/sane.d/dll.con
Retrieve the mac address from your device.
export SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE=REPLACE_MAC_ADDRESS_YOUR_DEVICE
scanimage -L
Rolf Bensch
2017-09-01 08:15:29 UTC
Hi Peter,
Post by Peter Saunderson
Hi,
Commit 62fcf80 in sane-backends is marked as TS5000 Series working but
WiFi not working.
This issue is documented in the pixma.desc file.

I'm sorry for the unclear description for this commit. It's just a copy
and paste error.
Post by Peter Saunderson
1/ I have build main latest 9b95970.. am I likely to damage my new
TS5050 by exceeding the physical scan area height.. I would not like
to damage my new printer / scanner!
The code should restrict scan commands to the maximum allowed scan area.
Post by Peter Saunderson
2/ I have the scanner connected via wifi on a different subnet in a
different room.. will this work or do I have to connect locally with USB?
Please contact Olaf for Wifi issues.
Post by Peter Saunderson
3/ What is stopping wifi from working? Is there something I could do
to update the software to support wifi or is this a big job?
4/ What is a good way to test this sane version with the TS5050 so
that we can mark the version tested with TS5050?
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rolf