Canon PIXMA MX725: ADF scan duplex and automatic recognition of number of pages
Add Reply
Rolf Bensch
2017-08-02 18:05:23 UTC
Hi Timo,

First, we should enable your Ubuntu system to scan via flatbed, adf
simple and adf duplex. Sorry, I have no experiences scanning adf pages
from scanimage in batch mode. Therefore we should start using gsan2pdf.

Maybe somebody on the list can provide running scanimage batch mode
calls for pixma scanners using adf simple and adf duplex.

To make sure using the most recent version you should install SANE from
my ppa: https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+archive/ubuntu/sane-git . OK,
you can stay using your self compiled version on Ubuntu, if you followed
the installation instructions from INSTALL.linux.

The ppa should also provide the recent SANE version for your rasp pi
(armhf or arm64; the packet manager should select the correct version).

OK, after installing (and removing a cruddy self compiled version: $
sudo make uninstall) the most recent version of SANE, you can create a
logfile on a console with, e.g.:

$ SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=11 gscan2pdf &> pixma.log

On your raspberry pi (and Ubuntu) you can use this corresponding command
for scanimage:

$ SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=11 scanimage [options] &> pixma.log

Maybe we need to debug and fix some issues on your Ubuntu machine first.

Second, if all scan types are running with gscan2pdf we can find a
working scanimage command which then can be simply adapted into your
raspberry pi.

Please provide the logfile of a failed scan in an archive, e.g. tar.gz,
zip or 7z.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rolf
Hi Rolf,
thanks for your answer.
I am using scanimage on my raspberry pi without any GUI.
Now I tried scanning via my ubuntu desktop system, but the document is
just stopping in the ADF and the MX725 wants that I press OK to get
the document back. I already tried to reinstall sane and the pixma
backend (sane via apt-get remove and the pixma backend by checking out
via git and compiling again). Same result.
Is there maybe a way to debug my problem via console on the raspberry
pi, since the scanning there is working, just no ADF Duplex and batch
without providing the number of pages?
Best regards
Timo
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
*Betreff:* Re: [sane-devel] Canon PIXMA MX725: ADF scan duplex and
automatic recognition of number of pages
*Datum:* Tue, 1 Aug 2017 20:47:11 +0200
*Von:* Rolf Bensch
*An:* Timo Ziegler
Hi Timo,
I prefer gscan2pdf for multi page adf scans.
Please report if your problem also occurs with gscan2pdf.
Many thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Rolf
Hi,
I got my MX725 running with scanimage on sane-pixma backend.
My last problems are that I can't scan in duplex mode via ADF and that
a ADF batch scan tries to scan another page after all pages are gone
from the ADF and then just gets stuck (need to use Ctrl + C once or
twice).
--ScanMode=Duplex => unrecognized option "--ScanMode"
--source="ADFDUP"
--source="Automatic Document Feeder(left align,duplex)
--source="Automatic Document Feeder(left align,Duplex)
and maybe some variations more => setting of option --source failed
(Invalid argument)
To scan "infinity pages, incrementing by 1, numbering from 1", I just
used --batch and scanned.
It's successfully scanning all the pages + tried to scan a next one
after the ADF runs out of pages to scan.
// Scanning page 1
// Scanned page 1. (scanner status = 5)
// Scanning page 2
Then nothing happens anymore. When I press Ctrl + C, it tries to
// scanimage: received signal 2
// scanimage: trying to stop scanner
Nothing happens, so I press Ctrl + C again
// scanimage: received signal 2
// scanimage: aborting
Scanning via --batch --batch-number=2 works fine, but I want to use
scanbuttond later so I don't want to set the number of pages every time.
I tried using --adf-wait=3 but this option is not recognized. It's not
listed in scanimage -A, but I found it in the online pixma-backend
documentation.
I hope, somebody can give a hint.
Thanks in advance
Timo
Kay Drangmeister
2017-08-11 22:56:41 UTC
Hi,

I am using the sane libs (Ubuntu 16.04) with a Canon Pixma MX925
successfully for years now. Since some time (days, maybe weeks), the
scan process does not terminate well.

After scanning, or after acquiring a preview in Gimp using xscanimage,
the scan is read completely, but on the display of the device, the
german message "Dokument wird gescannt" (document is being scanned) is
remaining forever.

When trying to scan a second image, or after acquiring the preview
trying to scan the image for real, a timeout occurs.

Unplugging and replugging the USB resolves the situation, display on
scanner is emptied, scanadf (for example) can read the next image.

It looks like a "scan completed - reset" is not being sent at the end of
the scan process from the PC to the scanner.

All of this has worked well before, I did not change my setup, except
for applying all "ppa sane-git" updates of the libsane software. Due to
holidays, I cannot tell exactly the version or date when it began to fail.

Kind regards,
Kay Drangmeister
2017-08-12 03:32:25 UTC
Hi Kay,
Post by Kay Drangmeister
Hi,
I am using the sane libs (Ubuntu 16.04) with a Canon Pixma MX925
successfully for years now. Since some time (days, maybe weeks), the
scan process does not terminate well.
There were two recent threads about similar issues that may be of
interest

https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2017-July/035481.html
https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2017-July/035520.html

Note, both threads continue on

https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2017-August/thread.html

You could try reverting to 1.0.25+git20150528

@Rolf> I hope these recent problem don't have anything to do with my
sanei threading changes.
Post by Kay Drangmeister
[...]
Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2 FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
GnuPG key: F84A2DD9/B3C0 2F47 EA19 64F4 9F13 F43E B8A4 A88A F84A 2DD9