Canon PIXMA TS8050 compatibility - PIXMA TS8000 Series
Johannes S.
2017-06-15 09:28:30 UTC
Hi there,

I just got my new TS8050 and tried to configure SANE to scan from the
TS8050 over the network (the same way worked for my old PIXMA MX925).The
Scanner is listed as "Testers needed" on the SANE website, so here's my
experience report:

The scanner has a static IP set to 192.168.1.3, my sane configuration
contains the following entry:

bjnp://192.168.1.3

When I run `scanimage -L` I get the following error message:

[bjnp] udp_command: ERROR - no data received (timeout = 1000)
[bjnp] bjnp_init_device_structure: Cannot read mac address, skipping this
scanner
[bjnp] udp_command: ERROR - no data received (timeout = 1000)
[bjnp] add_scanner: ERROR - Cannot read scanner make & model: bjnp://
192.168.1.3:8612/timeout=1000
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname Integrated Camera virtual device
When I try and scan the device with nmap I get the following report:

~ sudo nmap -sU 192.168.1.3/32
Starting Nmap 7.50 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2017-06-15 11:25 CEST
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.3
Host is up (0.036s latency).
Not shown: 993 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
68/udp open|filtered dhcpc
161/udp open snmp
500/udp open|filtered isakmp
1900/udp open|filtered upnp
1901/udp open|filtered fjicl-tep-a
5353/udp open zeroconf
5355/udp open|filtered llmnr
MAC Address: 84:BA:3B:83:58:44 (Canon)
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 3.48 seconds
Looks to me like the bjnp protocol is not supported by this model? Is there
any other test I can run to help?

Best regards,
Johannes
Louis Lagendijk
2017-06-16 15:41:40 UTC
Post by Johannes S.
[...]
Hi Johannes,
First try to scan using a USB connection, does that work? It is
essential that the scanner works over USB.

And second, try WITHOUT mentioning the scanner in pxima.conf:
export set SANE_DEBUG_BJNP=4
scanimage -L 2>log

and check if you get any response from the scanner in the log file.

And by the way: did you open the firewall (see man sane-pixma)
So far most Canons do support bjnp, but I learned of one type (forgot
which one) that does not support it.
If there is a bjnp response and the device works on USB, we can discuss
how to debug the issue.

best regards, Louis