Is it time of a new release?
Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca
2017-03-12 21:29:34 UTC
Hi,

We already have more than 500 commits since 1.0.25. As a downstream
maintainer (openwrt/lede), I get lost between those tons of patches
and how to select them to be backported.

Shouldn't sane-backend release a new version?

Also, It would be really nice if SANE could keep a stable branch. It would
be, at least, a place to target cherry-picks.

Maybe it could change its version number to something like other projects
do as:

x.y.0 - feature release x.y
x.y.n - fix release n

It would be better if x.y is year/month. At least there is no discussion on
whether the new release is big enough to tic the first number.

Regards,
--
Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca
***@gmail.com
m. allan noah
2017-03-13 01:11:17 UTC
We were discussing another release recently. We have at least one
major networking security bug we need to fix, and there are a few
backends which have some outstanding patches yet to commit. I think
perhaps at the end of April these things will be ready. If you are
able, taking a pass through our bug tracker looking for things we
might have missed would be helpful.

allan

René Rebe
2017-03-13 17:42:33 UTC
Hi all,

with a customer we made a small patch to fix scanning with some newer Epson DS scanners,
this is effectively this bug report:

https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=315552&group_id=30186&atid=410366

Should I just go ahead and commit this buffer handling patch to git, or should I get familiar with the web management thingy and upload it there?

René
m. allan noah
2017-03-13 18:49:02 UTC
Go ahead and commit it.

allan
Post by m. allan noah
[...]
ExactCODE GmbH, Lietzenburger Str. 42, DE-10789 Berlin
http://exactcode.com | http://exactscan.com | http://ocrkit.com | http://t2-project.org | http://rene.rebe.de
of my hand"
2017-05-01 01:40:17 UTC
Hi René,
Post by m. allan noah
Go ahead and commit it.
Looks like you haven't gotten around to doing so. Since we have a code
freeze coming up 2017-05-07, please do so soon.
Post by m. allan noah
allan
Post by m. allan noah
We were discussing another release recently. We have at least one
major networking security bug we need to fix, and there are a few
backends which have some outstanding patches yet to commit. I think
perhaps at the end of April these things will be ready. If you are
able, taking a pass through our bug tracker looking for things we
might have missed would be helpful.
Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2 FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
GnuPG key: F84A2DD9/B3C0 2F47 EA19 64F4 9F13 F43E B8A4 A88A F84A 2DD9
Tom Myers
2017-05-02 20:56:21 UTC
Do you know if the new release 1.0.26 will be built for macOS Sierra (10.12)? I would be willing to help a bit on this. I tried to build it with the latest Xcode and had issues. Not sure if it was me or the code. I am a bit rusty in using the latest code but would be willing to help if need be.

Tom Myers
585-752-1803
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Hi René,
Post by m. allan noah
Go ahead and commit it.
Looks like you haven't gotten around to doing so. Since we have a code
freeze coming up 2017-05-07, please do so soon.
Post by m. allan noah
allan
René Rebe
2017-05-02 21:01:20 UTC
Hi,

yes, the customer send me back a non-united diff, which me patch program did not wanted to accept (corrupted whatever).
A unified diff I would have copy and pasted by hand, but this vintage classic patch was not that “readable”.

I will try to make sure to get this committed ASAP.

However, as I maintain a whole Linux distribution (https://t2-project.org/) I do not really have time to do anything with macOS.

René
Post by Tom Myers
Do you know if the new release 1.0.26 will be built for macOS Sierra (10.12)? I would be willing to help a bit on this. I tried to build it with the latest Xcode and had issues. Not sure if it was me or the code. I am a bit rusty in using the latest code but would be willing to help if need be.
Tom Myers
585-752-1803
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Hi René,
Post by m. allan noah
Go ahead and commit it.
Looks like you haven't gotten around to doing so. Since we have a code
freeze coming up 2017-05-07, please do so soon.
Post by m. allan noah
allan
2017-03-20 11:52:06 UTC
Hi Luiz,
Post by Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca
Hi,
We already have more than 500 commits since 1.0.25. As a downstream
maintainer (openwrt/lede), I get lost between those tons of patches
and how to select them to be backported.
Shouldn't sane-backend release a new version?
As Allan mentioned in another reply, there is talk of releasing sometime
in April.
Post by Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca
Also, It would be really nice if SANE could keep a stable branch. It would
be, at least, a place to target cherry-picks.
Considering the way things work now (as in, we don't do bug fix releases
of any kind), the RELEASE_1_0_x tag would be the start of your stable
branch for the largest value of x.
Post by Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca
Maybe it could change its version number to something like other projects
x.y.0 - feature release x.y
x.y.n - fix release n
It would be better if x.y is year/month. At least there is no discussion on
whether the new release is big enough to tic the first number.
This would break the dll backend, like, completely. For better of for
worse (the latter if you ask me), that backend's backend loading logic
is tightly tied to the package's version number. To such an extent,
that we cannot even release a 1.1.x without breaking stuff, IIRC.

Hope this, eh, helps,