Adding a scanner backend (genesys) does not work
Chris Mailer
2017-06-13 14:29:48 UTC
Hello,

even though I'm using Linux for some time I barely used a scanner at all.
Whenever I was using a scanner yet, my attempts were quite successful
since the scanners I was using were supported by sane quite good and
were often rather old ones (either SCSI or parallel).
I´m currently trying to get a newer usb-scanner to work, which is,
according the documentation, "to be added to genesys backend"
(whatever that means).
I read a bit further and learned that I would have to activate the
genesys backend in the dll.conf file by uncommenting it (which I did)
and that I would have to add my printer to the genesys.conf file
(which I also did, using the values from sane-find-scanner, "usb
0x04a9 0x2215").
However, neither scanimage nor xsane nor libreoffice would find the scanner.
What else can I do to debug the problem further?

Thank you in advance,

Chris
to sa
m. allan noah
2017-06-13 15:27:11 UTC
Post by Chris Mailer
I´m currently trying to get a newer usb-scanner to work, which is,
according the documentation, "to be added to genesys backend"
(whatever that means).
It means your scanner is not supported, but the genesys backend is the
best place to add support. Unfortunately, just adding the ID to the
config file is not enough, code would also need to be written.
Unfortunately, the genesys backend is effectively unmaintained. So,
unless you are able to reverse engineer the protocol and add your own
support, you might want to get a different scanner.

allan
of my hand"
Chris Mailer
2017-06-15 10:38:35 UTC
Ok, I can give it a try. Where do I start? The only thing to find out
is probably the values for color scales and scan area, if I understand
the config file correctly.
Wouldn't it be a good starting point to just copy these values from a
similar scanner to see how it goes?
Cheers,

Chris
Quentin
2017-06-15 11:36:35 UTC
Hi,
I am a sane user in the same situation as you (another scanner, same backend).
You could read my firsts investigations http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2017-April/035195.html

Also take a look at this http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2017-May/035363.htmlWich point at https://github.com/stefdev49/syseneg
Please share your progress on this list.
Regards

Quentin B.

Le Jeudi 15 juin 2017 12h39, Chris Mailer <***@gmail.com> a écrit :

Ok, I can give it a try. Where do I start? The only thing to find out
is probably the values for color scales and scan area, if I understand
the config file correctly.
Wouldn't it be a good starting point to just copy these values from a
similar scanner to see how it goes?
Cheers,

Chris
IÂŽm currently trying to get a newer usb-scanner to work, which is,