Canon LiDE 220
Andreas Schneider
2014-09-20 17:57:06 UTC
Hello,

I just bought a Canon LiDE 220 not fully realizing, that it is so new,
that SANE currently doesn't support it.

What would (most likely) be needed, to add support? Is there any
information I can provide?

Thanks and best regards,
Andreas
Stef
2014-09-21 19:28:45 UTC
Post by Andreas Schneider
Hello,
I just bought a Canon LiDE 220 not fully realizing, that it is so new,
that SANE currently doesn't support it.
What would (most likely) be needed, to add support? Is there any
information I can provide?
Thanks and best regards,
Andreas
Hello,

what does 'sane-find-scanner' reports ? You could also send data
form lsusb.

Regards,
Stef
Andreas Schneider
2014-09-22 17:35:52 UTC
what does 'sane-find-scanner' reports ? You could also send data form
lsusb.
Apart from what Alex already wrote (Chip GL848+), I tried a naive
approach of duplicating the Genesys_Model canon_lide_200_model and
registering it according to the device ID. It was just a stab in the
dark, since the 200 used the same chip (apparently). Unfortunately, some
scanimage
scanimage: open of device genesys:libusb:001:004 failed: Error
during device I/O

(I don't have a full development environment for SANE; I just changed
the source, rebuilt the package and installed it. Full debugging is
therefore not easily possible for me.)

Is there an easy way to capture device IO on Windows? (... where the
scanner works)
That way I could give you a dump of the traffic that you can look at (I
guess you have a practiced eye for the control data :-))

Best regards,
Andreas
Stef
2014-09-22 19:17:28 UTC
Post by Andreas Schneider
[...]

you can try wireshark and export USB dump to text. I'll try to do
something of it. On Windows XP i used usbsnoop for USB recording.

Regards,
Stef
Paul Newall
2014-09-22 19:46:39 UTC
I'm not sure if we generally release once a year? but it's about a year
since the last release.
Paul Newall
2014-09-22 19:58:22 UTC
I have have had trouble identifying where to install sane myself from
time to time, and people often seem to get into difficulty when they get
several different installed versions.
Ubuntu seem to have changed the location used for sane at least once in
the past few years, and now it looks as if the 64 bit version maybe
installed in a different place to the 32 bit version?

Is there something we could do to help people specify the right
location, perhaps configure could warn if libdir is not the same
location as any existing installation?

Paul Newall
Alex
2014-09-22 13:51:41 UTC
Hi Stef,

i have bought the same scanner (lide 220) by mistake, have now ordered the
20 because i need a working one quick, however i"m going to keep the
lide 220 as well, so i can help to get it working.

it seems to have the GL848 chip..
what does 'sane-find-scanner' reports ? You could also send data form
lsusb.
sane-find-scanner reports:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x190f [CanoScan],
chip=GL848+) at libusb:001:008

and lsusb says:

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 04a9:190f Canon, Inc.

greetings,
Alex
Stef
2014-09-22 19:15:30 UTC
Post by Alex
Hi Stef,
i have bought the same scanner (lide 220) by mistake, have now ordered the
20 because i need a working one quick, however i"m going to keep the
lide 220 as well, so i can help to get it working.
it seems to have the GL848 chip..
what does 'sane-find-scanner' reports ? You could also send data form
lsusb.
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x190f [CanoScan],
chip=GL848+) at libusb:001:008
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 04a9:190f Canon, Inc.
greetings,
Alex
Hello,

was 'sane-find-scanner' from SANE 1.0.23 ? Detection has been
improved since. Could you send the output
of lsusb -v -d 04a9:190f ?

Regards,
Stef
Alex
2014-09-23 00:58:40 UTC
Post by Andreas Schneider
Hello,
re,
Post by Andreas Schneider
was 'sane-find-scanner' from SANE 1.0.23 ? Detection has been improved since.
1.0.24 actually.. (was the same output on arch and debian)
Post by Andreas Schneider
Could you send the output
of lsusb -v -d 04a9:190f ?
Regards,
Stef
..sure:

$ lsusb -v -d 04a9:190f

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04a9:190f Canon, Inc.
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bDeviceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bDeviceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x04a9 Canon, Inc.
idProduct 0x190f
bcdDevice 7.04
iManufacturer 1
iProduct 2
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 39
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xa0
(Bus Powered)
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 500mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 3
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0001 1x 1 bytes
bInterval 8
Stef
2014-09-23 04:17:05 UTC
Post by Alex
Post by Andreas Schneider
Hello,
re,
Post by Andreas Schneider
was 'sane-find-scanner' from SANE 1.0.23 ? Detection has been improved since.
1.0.24 actually.. (was the same output on arch and debian)
Post by Andreas Schneider
Could you send the output
of lsusb -v -d 04a9:190f ?
Regards,
Stef
Post by Alex
Post by Andreas Schneider
bcdDevice 7.04

Hello,

it is a new genesys chip revision. Not datasheet known for this
one. This work would be complicated.

Regards,
Stef
Michael McAndrew
2015-01-09 12:55:40 UTC
Hey there,

I've just caught up on the 'Canon LiDE 220' about that scanner not yet
being supported.
it is a new genesys chip revision. Not datasheet known for this one.
This work would be complicated.

I'm not familiar with sane development so am wondering if you can expand
on that a little? It would be great to know if it is just a case of
hanging on to the scanner until the chip revision is supported, or if
there is a blocker that means it will remain unsupported for the
foreseeable future.

Is there an estimate you could give for when it might get supported?

I am one of those stupid people that buys hardware before checking
driver availability, so as the owner of an LiDE 220, I'd be happy to
help in any way I can.

Thanks,
Michael
grepnoid
2016-05-20 07:42:15 UTC
The thing is, it IS listed in the supported devices list! That's why I
bought it.

sane-find-scanner gives its chip as GL848+ though the list says it's a
GL124+.
There is no source file gl848.c as there are for GL124, GL647 etc.

I have a feeling that Canon have a history of breaking compatibility while
keeping the
same USB product ID.

I have exactly the same result as previous posters. Identical lsusb -v
except for the
additional line 'Couldn't open device, some information will be missing'. Is
that likely
to be a real problem?

Is there any mileage in faking the device to appear to be a LiDE 200 using
the GL847?
That could give at least partial compatibility? If so, suggestions
gratefully received on
anything to change apart from the array entry in genesys_usb_device_list.

Thanks in advance. Who should I contact to get the supported deviced
updated, if the
problem is as it appears?

grepnoid
2016-05-20 07:51:59 UTC
Just to add, faking the 220's USB ID to map to the 200 gives the same result.

viruxx
2017-03-20 13:54:44 UTC
hi here, if you want, i can write you a little java program
like i made with my ricoh aficio unsupported scanner

just need the usblyser report of scans in differents modes

color 100 dpi
grayscale 100 dpi

color 300 dpi
grayscale 300 dpi

maybe one with 600

i just need the start and the end of report
bye

csola48
2017-03-20 14:16:33 UTC
Post by viruxx
hi here, if you want, i can write you a little java program
like i made with my ricoh aficio unsupported scanner
just need the usblyser report of scans in differents modes
color 100 dpi
grayscale 100 dpi
color 300 dpi
grayscale 300 dpi
maybe one with 600
i just need the start and the end of report
bye
Is out of order always yet at me :(
I tried all of your councils... nothing... nothin...

I would need him very much

Is something a new idea, a council?

Thx

csola48
grepnoid
2017-03-20 21:20:14 UTC
Thank you for that. I did get it to work under Linux using xsane and genesys
driver. Details of how to do it are here
http://gsusmonzon.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/canon-lide-220-in-ubuntu-1404.html
My comment explains that I was using an old Ubuntu with a probably-too-old
genesys driver. A compile from source of version 1.0.26git worked. Some
have success under Ubuntu using a PPA, details here
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2258489

In short, it's likely that most recent distro versions use a new enough
driver version that it works out of the box. Thanks for the offer of help,
maybe someone can confirm that is it definitely supported with recent
genesys drivers.

csola48
2017-03-21 09:18:50 UTC
Post by grepnoid
Thank you for that. I did get it to work under Linux using xsane and genesys
driver. Details of how to do it are here
http://gsusmonzon.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/canon-lide-220-in-ubuntu-1404.html
My comment explains that I was using an old Ubuntu with a probably-too-old
genesys driver. A compile from source of version 1.0.26git worked. Some
have success under Ubuntu using a PPA, details here
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2258489
In short, it's likely that most recent distro versions use a new enough
driver version that it works out of the box. Thanks for the offer of help,
maybe someone can confirm that is it definitely supported with recent
genesys drivers.
Does this scanner (Lide 220) works in 16.04?!!

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=16.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=xenial
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS"
Ubuntu 4.8.0-42.45~16.04.1-generic 4.8.17

Installed package:
sane: 1.0.14-11 yes
sane-utils 1.0.26-git20160712-xenial0 yes
xsane: 0.999-3ubuntu1 yes
libsane: 1.0.26-git20160712-xenial0 yes
libsane-common: 1.0.26-git20160712-xenial0 yes
=====

sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

could not open USB device 0x8087/0x0024 at 002:002: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 002:001: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
found USB scanner (vendor=*0x04a9* [Canon], product=0x190f [CanoScan],
chip=GL848+) at libusb:001:009 *<== GL848+ ?????*
could not open USB device*0x04a9*/0x1073 at 001:008: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x093a/0x2510 at 001:007: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x046d/0x089d at 001:003: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x8087/0x0024 at 001:002: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0003 at 004:001: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 003:001: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
ports
# can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
# necessary.

=======
scanimage -L
device `genesys:libusb:001:009' is a Canon LiDE 220 flatbed scanner

====
And: not works...

Thx
csola48