scanbd on ubuntu
Herr Oswald
2017-06-01 07:14:28 UTC
Hello,

I installed the scanbd package on my ubuntu 16.10 - but could not find
a fairly recent set of instructions for the setup.

There is a very comprehensive one for ArchLinux from 2013, there is a
one for ubuntu, but for scanbuttond, which may be outdated as well -
and the /etc/scanbd/scanbd.conf does not really speak to me...

Does anybody here happen to have a hint? - All I want is the scanner to
make a scan when some button at it is pressed.

Cheers,
Wolf
Wilhelm Meier
2017-06-01 07:35:17 UTC
Hi Wolf,

please provide us with a little bit more information, e.g. what scanner
type, the contents of your config-files, log-files.

Despite from that: you can follow the ArchLinux setup guide.

--
Wilhelm
Herr Oswald
2017-06-01 19:49:42 UTC
I'm using an old

HP 7400c USB scanner on
ubuntu 16.10,
scanbd 1.4.4-1build1,
sane-utils 1.0.27+git20170530-yakkety0

everything as it came - and now I'm a little helpless... ):

to sane-dev
Wilhelm Meier
2017-06-01 19:52:09 UTC
Well ... what did you test?
Did you follow some setup guide?
Did you inspect the log files?
Did you read the docu of scanbd?
Herr Oswald
2017-06-01 20:26:27 UTC
Sorry, this probabely is stupid - but I do not know where to begin.
This is the core of my question. (Some hints at sourceforge's project
page could be helpful...)

You wrote that the old ArchLinux instructions will do. OK - I'll try
these and report back.

-
Herr Oswald
2017-06-02 12:32:08 UTC
Post by Herr Oswald
Sorry, this probabely is stupid - but I do not know where to begin.
This is the core of my question. (Some hints at sourceforge's project
page could be helpful...)
You wrote that the old ArchLinux instructions will do. OK - I'll try
these and report back.
I followed the instructions found here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Scanner_Button_Daemon

Went nice till this place:
$ systemctl start scanbm.socket
Job for scanbm.socket failed.

This is what
$ systemctl status scanbm.socket
says:

scanbm.socket - scanbd/saned incoming socket
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/scanbm.socket; enabled; vendor
preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: resources)
   Listen: [::]:6566 (Stream)
 Accepted: 0; Connected: 0

Jun 02 14:13:31 Simux systemd[1]: scanbm.socket: Failed to listen on
sockets: Address already in use
Jun 02 14:13:31 Simux systemd[1]: Failed to listen on scanbd/saned
incoming socket.
Jun 02 14:13:31 Simux systemd[1]: scanbm.socket: Unit entered failed
state.
Jun 02 14:19:13 Simux systemd[1]: scanbm.socket: Failed to listen on
sockets: Address already in use
Jun 02 14:19:13 Simux systemd[1]: Failed to listen on scanbd/saned
incoming socket.
Jun 02 14:25:08 Simux systemd[1]: scanbm.socket: Failed to listen on
sockets: Address already in use
Jun 02 14:25:08 Simux systemd[1]: Failed to listen on scanbd/saned
incoming socket.

The outputs of journalctl -xe are attached to this message.

Cheers,
Wolf