scanbd ... next steps / questions ...
Add Reply
Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
2017-04-22 17:02:57 UTC
Dear listmembers,
probably these questions have readily been asked over and over again, then my
apologies:

1.) /etc/scanbd/scripts
which scripts does this refer to? There are some scripts in /etc/scanbd, those
like "scanadf.script" and "test.script" (I am using a spec - file for opensuse
some other person had had generated)? If I look into /etc/scanbd/scanbd.conf
they ought to reside within /etc/scanbd/scripts, is that correct? Is there a
configure - option that would print out all directories in use (or, even
better, put this summarizing into config.log like several other packages do /
emacs is a nice example in this regard ...)?
2.) /usr/lib64/scanbd/scanbuttond/backends, is this the directory I should
copy /etc/saned/dll.conf to as well as all the other files from /etc/saned
that are uncommented within *this* dll.conf (except net.conf) in contrast to
/etc/saned/dll.conf that ought to contain no reference but "net"? Is this what
is menat with "backends"?
3.) SCANBD_DEVICE could be /dev/scanner (if I have such a device?)
4.) SCANBD_ACTION - I do not really understand what is about this.

From within the "README.txt in the source-directory I did not really
understand what is meant with the variables - would it be too much to simply
ask for an example that would shed some light on the do's and don'ts of the
configuration if the "regular" scanner would be say "hp" and the corresponding
device would be "/dev/scanner"?

I am trying to set up a spec - file for a rpm - package, but as of now there
is too much understanding missing on my side to get that tracked down in such
a way that I can be satisfied with the results ....

Thank you very much,
regards

Dieter Jurzitza
Axel Schöner
2017-04-27 13:29:09 UTC
Post by Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Dear listmembers,
probably these questions have readily been asked over and over again, then
1.) /etc/scanbd/scripts
which scripts does this refer to? There are some scripts in /etc/scanbd,
those like "scanadf.script" and "test.script" (I am using a spec - file for
opensuse some other person had had generated)? If I look into
/etc/scanbd/scanbd.conf they ought to reside within /etc/scanbd/scripts, is
that correct? Is there a configure - option that would print out all
directories in use (or, even better, put this summarizing into config.log
like several other packages do / emacs is a nice example in this regard
...)?
The scripts which are executed while device insertion/removal and by pushing
buttons should be located in ${prefix}/etc/scanbd/scripts. We will fix the
makefiles... to correct this (in the next days).
Post by Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
2.) /usr/lib64/scanbd/scanbuttond/backends, is this the directory I should
copy /etc/saned/dll.conf to as well as all the other files from /etc/saned
that are uncommented within *this* dll.conf (except net.conf) in contrast to
/etc/saned/dll.conf that ought to contain no reference but "net"? Is this
what is menat with "backends"?
I think these files should be in ${prefix}/etc/saned/. Where do you have this
information from?
Post by Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
3.) SCANBD_DEVICE could be /dev/scanner (if I have such a device?)
In most cases there is no such devicenode.
It could be something like plustek:libusb:001:003.
When you plug in your device it should be detected if there is a supported
driver configured. Look at the end of ${prefix}/etc/saned/scanbd.conf
Post by Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
4.) SCANBD_ACTION - I do not really understand what is about this.
This is a variable which represents the actual event (insert, remove, scan,
copy, ...) the definitions are in scanbd.conf.
It is possible to trigger different scripts based on these events (if you have
more then one detected button on your scanner).

You can launch scanbd in debug mode to see the values of SCANBD_DEVICE and
SCANBD_ACTION: ${prefix}/sbin/scanbd -d7 -f -c ${prefix}/etc/scanbd/scanbd.conf
.
From within the "README.txt in the source-directory I did not really
--
M. Sc. Axel Schöner
Hochschule Kaiserslautern in Zweibrücken
Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
2017-05-03 17:50:50 UTC
Hi Axel,
thank you very much for your feedback - I hope to have more spare time next
weekend to dive again into this issue.

But in general: I had had thought that there is a "generic" dll.conf having
only the net - backend enabled that sits in /etc/saned (after configuration of
scanbd). This I took from the README.txt:

6) sane config

All desktop applications should only get access to the scanners via the net
backend, so edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf to only contain the net-backend on the
desktop machines.

example dll.conf:
---
net
---

but somewhere there is a need to tell sane which physical device to use, so I
thought - maybe erratically - that scanbd "hides" other entries / a different
dll.conf in /etc/saned from sane and tells sane itself which scanner to use
but depicts to the "outer world" that there is nothing but a network scanner.
As readily said, this may be totally wrong. If I read your comments it sounds
as if the sane - configuration ought to remain "as is", but this is not what
the above mentioned entry in README.txt from scanbd tells me.

Regards,
thanks for all the work

Dieter Jurzitza
Post by Axel Schöner
[...]
From within the "README.txt in the source-directory I did not really
Wilhelm Meier
2017-05-03 20:58:14 UTC
[...]
Please read the ReadMe.txt carefully ;-)

All local scan-applications like xsane e.g. have to use the net-backend.
This is the only way to intercept a scan-request by scanbd. scanbd in
turn has to start saned to perform the real scan. saned itself use the
normal way for configuration: it normally would use the
/etc/sane/dll.conf, but this would be wrong since it leads to an
infinity recursion via the net backend. Therefore scanbd uses the
SANE_CONFIG_DIR to point saned to another location to find an
alternative dll.conf - and this dll.conf should only contain the local
attached scanners (or remote on other machines).

Sounds a bit complicated, but this is the way it is ...

HTH,
Wilhelm
Post by Axel Schöner
[...]
From within the "README.txt in the source-directory I did not really
understand what is meant with the variables - would it be too much to
simply ask for an example that would shed some light on the do's and
don'ts of the configuration if the "regular" scanner would be say "hp"
and the
corresponding device would be "/dev/scanner"?
I am trying to set up a spec - file for a rpm - package, but as of now
there is too much understanding missing on my side to get that tracked
down in such a way that I can be satisfied with the results ....
Thank you very much,
regards
Dieter Jurzitza
to sane-devel-req