Mustek A3 scanner on Linux Mint 18
Derek Day
2017-02-03 20:54:56 UTC
Hi All,

I'm new to this list, and to Linux (in the process of moving from
Windows 10). I have a low level of UNIX knowledge from a l.o..n...g time
ago, not connected with hardware/device problems, and mostly forgotten -
so bear with me.

I have a Mustek A3 2400S USB scanner which works under Windows 10, but I
haven't been able to get it working -so far - under Linux.

lsusb reports:

Bus 002 Device 010: ID 055f:0503 Mustek Systems, Inc.

so it looks as though the system knows it's there, but XSANE reports:
"no devices available".

Similarly neither Simple Scan, Scanimage nor Vuescan can find any device.

If my understanding is correct I believe this scanner is not supported
by SANE. If I'm correct is there a way to add it to SANE or an
alternative to SANE? Are my only options to stick with Windows
(aaaargh!) or replace the scanner? Where do I go from here?

Derek
Linux Noobie.

Sean Greenslade
2017-02-04 06:01:38 UTC
Post by Derek Day
Hi All,
I'm new to this list, and to Linux (in the process of moving from
Windows 10). I have a low level of UNIX knowledge from a l.o..n...g time
ago, not connected with hardware/device problems, and mostly forgotten -
so bear with me.
I have a Mustek A3 2400S USB scanner which works under Windows 10, but I
haven't been able to get it working -so far - under Linux.
Bus 002 Device 010: ID 055f:0503 Mustek Systems, Inc.
"no devices available".
Similarly neither Simple Scan, Scanimage nor Vuescan can find any device.
If my understanding is correct I believe this scanner is not supported
by SANE. If I'm correct is there a way to add it to SANE or an
alternative to SANE? Are my only options to stick with Windows
(aaaargh!) or replace the scanner? Where do I go from here?
Check this list. If it's not listed, you're SOL unless you are willing to code the backend yourself or pay someone else to.

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

As far as I'm aware, there isn't any other project that does scanner driving in Linux besides SANE.

--Sean
James Tappin
Jörn-Ingo Weigert
2017-02-04 11:53:35 UTC
Hi Derek,

first check if your user in the group who is able to access the Scanner
device. Simply, check with root user (sudo) and the sane tools if they find
and list the scanner. If yes, depending on your distribution, add your user
to the group which can access the device, usually the "scanner" group.

Some scanner needs additional propriate drivers from the vendor, in this
case Mustek, to work correctly.

Hope this help,

Jörn-Ingo Weigert

Jörn-Ingo Weigert