Getting ready for sane-backends release
2017-05-14 11:11:03 UTC
Hi Allan,

I just pushed an update of all the autotools and gettext derived files.
Unless there are any other updates to any of these files, all you need
to do to update the version number is

sed -i 's/1\.0\.26git/1.0.26/g' configure.ac configure

Apart from making your mind up about whether we should skip 1.0.26 and
jump to 1.0.27 ;-)

Please run autoreconf on Debian GNU/Linux 8.8, but only if you really,
really have to.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2 FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
GnuPG key: F84A2DD9/B3C0 2F47 EA19 64F4 9F13 F43E B8A4 A88A F84A 2DD9
Yuri Chornoivan
2017-05-14 11:31:52 UTC
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Hi Allan,
I just pushed an update of all the autotools and gettext derived files.
Unless there are any other updates to any of these files, all you need
to do to update the version number is
sed -i 's/1\.0\.26git/1.0.26/g' configure.ac configure
Apart from making your mind up about whether we should skip 1.0.26 and
jump to 1.0.27 ;-)
Please run autoreconf on Debian GNU/Linux 8.8, but only if you really,
really have to.
Hope this helps,
Hi,

Is there any schedule for pushing po-files updates?

I have sent an updated version of uk.po to Allan and to this list but it has
not been pushed to the repo yet. :'(

Best regards,
Yuri
to sane-devel-req
m. allan noah
2017-05-15 01:41:31 UTC
Post by Yuri Chornoivan
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Hi Allan,
I just pushed an update of all the autotools and gettext derived files.
Unless there are any other updates to any of these files, all you need
to do to update the version number is
sed -i 's/1\.0\.26git/1.0.26/g' configure.ac configure
Apart from making your mind up about whether we should skip 1.0.26 and
jump to 1.0.27 ;-)
Please run autoreconf on Debian GNU/Linux 8.8, but only if you really,
really have to.
What so now you get to dictate my OS? :)
Post by Yuri Chornoivan
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Hope this helps,
Hi,
Is there any schedule for pushing po-files updates?
I have sent an updated version of uk.po to Allan and to this list but it has
not been pushed to the repo yet. :'(
Best regards,
Yuri
Sorry Yuri, I've been traveling. I just committed and pushed your
work. Thank you for your efforts, and sorry for the delay.

allan
of my hand"
2017-05-15 12:01:24 UTC
Hi Allan,
Post by m. allan noah
Post by Yuri Chornoivan
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Hi Allan,
I just pushed an update of all the autotools and gettext derived files.
Unless there are any other updates to any of these files, all you need
to do to update the version number is
sed -i 's/1\.0\.26git/1.0.26/g' configure.ac configure
Apart from making your mind up about whether we should skip 1.0.26 and
jump to 1.0.27 ;-)
Please run autoreconf on Debian GNU/Linux 8.8, but only if you really,
really have to.
What so now you get to dictate my OS? :)
Of course! Way down to version and type of kernel ;-P
Be glad I didn't specify a kernel version or architecture ;-)

The reason is really to keep the changes minimal. It is what I use to
check for autotool issues and fix them where possible. The GitLab CI
pipelines[1] have been using the derived files that result from this for
most of the time after the 1.0.25 release.

[1] https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/pipelines
Post by m. allan noah
Post by Yuri Chornoivan
Is there any schedule for pushing po-files updates?
I have sent an updated version of uk.po to Allan and to this list but it has
not been pushed to the repo yet. :'(
Sorry Yuri, I've been traveling. I just committed and pushed your
work. Thank you for your efforts, and sorry for the delay.
And another sorry from me for missing Yuri's patch on the mailing list
when "scavenging" for patches.

I also noticed that I didn't commit the changes that result from running

make -C po update-po

Commit is on the way but I noticed that we have a lot of untranslated
and fuzzy strings (no different from 1.0.25 btw).

Hope this helps,
Johannes Meixner
2017-05-15 08:48:37 UTC
Hello Olaf,
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Please run autoreconf on Debian GNU/Linux 8.8,
but only if you really, really have to.
It seems the leading "Please" tells one should do it
while the rest tells one should better not do it.

Simply put:
Is running autoreconf good or bad in general?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)
2017-05-15 11:33:09 UTC
Hi Johannes,
Post by Johannes Meixner
Hello Olaf,
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Please run autoreconf on Debian GNU/Linux 8.8,
but only if you really, really have to.
It seems the leading "Please" tells one should do it
while the rest tells one should better not do it.
That's just me having trouble communicating. What I meant to convey was

If there is a need to run autoreconf, then please do it on Debian
GNU/Linux 8.8.

Hope that's clearer now.
Post by Johannes Meixner
Is running autoreconf good or bad in general?
As with all questions, that depends. Even more so if you start taking
about the options it takes.

First of all, if you downloaded a source tarball for a release there is
no need to run autoreconf. All the derived files should be up-to-date.

For the snapshot tarballs the situation should be the same, ideally.
Occasionally there may be some inconsistency and you might want to run
autoreconf then.

For binary package maintainers, your distribution's documentation should
have information on what needs to be done. Some require you to update
config.guess and config.rpath to their latest versions and/or that you
rerun autoreconf. If you have any patches that change Makefile.am
files, configure.ac or acinclude.m4, then you should run autoreconf.

If you make changes to any of the Makefile.am files, configure.ac or
acinclude.m4 you should run autoreconf. Actually, we could make `make`
do so for you but a left-over from the CVS days in configure.ac disables
that (see AM_MAINTAINER_MODE).

I have been thinking of ripping that out but because we keep all these
generated files in our git repository I'm hesitant to do so. You see,
the content of generated files depends to a fair extent to the version
of the autotools used when running autoreconf. If developers start
running autoreconf every time a Makefile.am file's timestamp changes
(courtesy of running make and there doesn't even have to be a change in
content!), there will be a lot of churn in the derived files. If this
then gets committed to the git repository there'll be a lot of rather
irrelevant change. Personally, I'd rather not see that which is why I
would like to use a "canonical" environment whenever we need to run
`autoreconf`.

Hope this helps,