scanbd on Raspbian: scanner only sporadically detected
Manuel Reiter
2017-04-09 10:23:44 UTC
Hi everybody,

I'm currently trying to set up saned with a Canon Pixma MP610 on a Raspberry Pi 3 running the latest Raspbian Jessie. Scanning works well, however I have some trouble gettings scanbd to work reliably. Scanbd will only detect the scanner on startup every once in a while. Log from the last successful start is at

http://paste.debian.net/926687

This was a foreground run, unfortunately only on debug level 4. After I terminated this run, I started scanbd via systemd. This did not detect my scanner. All subsequent tries were unsuccessfull as well. Log from one such try at debug level 7 is at

http://paste.debian.net/926688

My config files are

/etc/scanbd/scanbd.conf: http://paste.debian.net/926677
/etc/scanbd/sane.d/saned.conf: http://paste.debian.net/926680
/etc/scanbd/sane.d/dll.conf: http://paste.debian.net/926683
/etc/saned/saned.conf: http://paste.debian.net/926684
/etc/saned/dll.conf: http://paste.debian.net/926685

What seems weird to me is that scanimage -L detects the scanner reliably every time, both local and remote, so scanbm doesn't seem to share the problem.

Any hints on how to debug this are highly welcome, thanks in advance! If you need any more info, please ask!

Cheers,

Manuel
Manuel Reiter

Wilhelm Meier
2017-04-09 11:22:29 UTC
Post by Manuel Reiter
Hi everybody,
I'm currently trying to set up saned with a Canon Pixma MP610 on a Raspberry Pi 3 running the latest Raspbian Jessie. Scanning works well, however I have some trouble gettings scanbd to work reliably. Scanbd will only detect the scanner on startup every once in a while. Log from the last successful start is at
http://paste.debian.net/926687
This was a foreground run, unfortunately only on debug level 4. After I terminated this run, I started scanbd via systemd. This did not detect my scanner. All subsequent tries were unsuccessfull as well. Log from one such try at debug level 7 is at
http://paste.debian.net/926688
Please check the SANE_CONFIG_DIR env-variable for your foreground runs.
Manuel Reiter
2017-04-09 15:15:31 UTC
Thanks, that actually brought me on the right track: I had changed SANE_CONFIG_DIR in /etc/init.d/scanbd (which still ships with the Debian/Raspbian package) but not in /lib/systemd/system/scanbd.service. Why it ever worked at all with the wrong/no SANE_CONFIG_DIR is beyond me.

Problem existed before the screen and is solved now, thanks again for your help!
Wilhelm
2017-04-09 15:42:31 UTC
Post by Manuel Reiter
Thanks, that actually brought me on the right track: I had changed SANE_CONFIG_DIR in /etc/init.d/scanbd (which still ships with the Debian/Raspbian package) but not in /lib/systemd/system/scanbd.service. Why it ever worked at all with the wrong/no SANE_CONFIG_DIR is beyond me.
Problem existed before the screen and is solved now, thanks again for your help!
No problem!

I admit that the understanding and configuration of scanbd isn't as
simple as it could be.

Have fun!