TIFF to PDF at 300dpi?
Manuel Reiter
2017-04-12 15:05:14 UTC
Hi all,

this might be a bit off topic here and if that's against this list's policy, I apologize in advance, but I've been websearching literally for hours now without finding a solution and I figure somebody here might have had the same problem before.

I want to convert a TIFF, scanned at 300 dpi, to a PDF of the same size and dpi. From my searches, this should be achievable both with ImageMagick's "convert" with output option "-r300" and with ghostscript and "-dPDFSETTINGS=/printer". However, both approaches don't work for me. convert resamples the image to 72 dpi while ghostscript correctly embeds the image at full resolution but does apparently not set the required metadata for the PDF/embedded image resolution to be recognised as 300 dpi.

Any ideas anybody? Suggestions where else to ask are also highly welcome. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Manuel
Chris Moller
2017-04-12 15:36:35 UTC
GIMP will do this, but probably only interactively--GIMP can be run with
scripts and, I think, non-interactively, but I've never done it and it
might be a bit of work to set up.
Manuel
m. allan noah

Yury Tarasievich
2017-04-12 17:11:39 UTC
On 12/04/17 18:05, Manuel Reiter wrote:
Post by Manuel Reiter
I want to convert a TIFF, scanned at 300 dpi, to a PDF of the same size and dpi. From my searches, this should be achievable both with ImageMagick's "convert" with output
Try tiff2pdf from LIBTIFF (don't know how to
look for the DPI in PDF, but the PDF file size
is roughly the same as the sum of TIFFs that
went into it).

-Yury
Jeff
2017-04-12 17:30:02 UTC
Post by Manuel Reiter
I want to convert a TIFF, scanned at 300 dpi, to a PDF of the same
size and dpi. From my searches, this should be achievable both with
ImageMagick's "convert" with output
Try tiff2pdf from LIBTIFF (don't know how to look for the DPI in PDF,
but the PDF file size is roughly the same as the sum of TIFFs that went
into it).
tiff2pdf is the quickest way for those who are happy with the command line.

gscan2pdf would also have no problem importing a multipage TIFF and
saving a PDF.

Regards

Jeff
Jeff Breidenbach