Dell MFP S2815dn/H815dw support?
Add Reply
Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
2017-05-12 09:53:38 UTC
Hello everyone,

I own a Dell MFP S2815dn which is almost identical to the Dell MFP
H815dw. The printer/scanner/copier/fax is probably built by Fuji Xerox
(its MAC address is from Fuji Xerox).
According to the manual of the scanner, scanning can be controlled by
local console (e.g. scan-to-email), via USB and via network.

Adding the USB ID to /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf of the sane-xerox_mfp
backend of sane-backends version 1.0.26-git20160712 (Ubuntu 14.04
x86_64, rolfbensch PPA) didn't help, and when enabling debugging I can
see the SENSE command doesn't get an answer. This happens regardless of
whether I run it as root or as user. That might be a collision with
other usb drivers binding to the device, but even when blacklisting
usblp and checking that no other drivers are bound to the USB device,
scanimage -L doesn't find the scanner.
sane-find-scanner claims that it found three USB scanners, but I only
have one scanner attached. The other two "matches" are my USB bluetooth
adapter and my USB fingerprint reader.

What would be a good way to get the Dell S2815 supported?
lsusb? Logs? What's the preferred log level?
I'm willing to try patches, and I could even try to get a USB trace from
the windows driver if I manage to find a Windows VM somewhere.

On a slightly related note: How can I eliminate the false positives from
sane-find-scanner?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
2017-05-13 19:39:26 UTC
Hello everyone,
Post by Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
I own a Dell MFP S2815dn which is almost identical to the Dell MFP
H815dw. The printer/scanner/copier/fax is probably built by Fuji Xerox
(its MAC address is from Fuji Xerox).
According to the manual of the scanner, scanning can be controlled by
local console (e.g. scan-to-email), via USB and via network.
Adding the USB ID to /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf of the sane-xerox_mfp
backend of sane-backends version 1.0.26-git20160712 (Ubuntu 14.04
x86_64, rolfbensch PPA) didn't help, and when enabling debugging I can
see the SENSE command doesn't get an answer. This happens regardless of
whether I run it as root or as user.
Log follows:
***@t60:~# export SANE_DEBUG_XEROX_MFP=4
***@t60:~# scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of xerox_mfp to 4.
[xerox_mfp] sane_init: Xerox backend (build 13), version != null,
authorize != null
[xerox_mfp] sane_xerox_mfp_get_devices: 0x7ffe97d4f5d8, 0
[xerox_mfp] list_one_device: libusb:001:004
[xerox_mfp] usb_dev_open: open 0xc3aae0
[xerox_mfp] :: dev_command(INQUIRY[0x12], 70)
[xerox_mfp] usb_dev_request: sanei_usb_read_bulk: Error during device I/O
[xerox_mfp] dev_command: dev_request: Error during device I/O
[xerox_mfp] usb_dev_close: closing dev 0xc3aae0
[xerox_mfp] list_one_device: dev_inquiry(libusb:001:004): Error during
device I/O

***@t60:~# lsusb -v
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 413c:5907 Dell Computer Corp.
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x413c Dell Computer Corp.
idProduct 0x5907
bcdDevice 1.00
iManufacturer 1 Dell
iProduct 2 MFP S2815dn
iSerial 3 DG1001935
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 62
bNumInterfaces 2
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xc0
Self Powered
MaxPower 2mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 3
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 255
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x01 EP 1 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x82 EP 2 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x85 EP 5 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0008 1x 8 bytes
bInterval 11
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 1
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 7 Printer
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Printer
bInterfaceProtocol 2 Bidirectional
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x03 EP 3 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x84 EP 4 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
bLength 10
bDescriptorType 6
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
bNumConfigurations 1
Device Status: 0x0001
Self Powered

***@t60:~# tail -n 2 /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf
#Dell MFP Laser Printer 2815dn
usb 0x413c 0x5907
2017-05-14 02:52:30 UTC
Hi Carl-Daniel,
[...]
Looks like the very first I/O with the device fails. You could try
looking at the USB logs but there is a good chance that the backend
you're using is simply not the right one.

SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=5 scanimage -L
Post by Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
Post by Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
What would be a good way to get the Dell S2815 supported?
lsusb? Logs? What's the preferred log level?
I'm willing to try patches, and I could even try to get a USB trace from
the windows driver if I manage to find a Windows VM somewhere.
That USB trace would be helpful finding out whether the xerox_mfp
backend implements the same or a very similar I/O protocol.
Post by Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
Post by Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
On a slightly related note: How can I eliminate the false positives from
sane-find-scanner?
# Your fingerprint reader can be considered a "scanner". The Bluetooth
# adapter ... well that's something else.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2 FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
GnuPG key: F84A2DD9/B3C0 2F47 EA19 64F4 9F13 F43E B8A4 A88A F84A 2DD9