sane-devel delivery slow?
Henning Meier-Geinitz
2003-01-23 16:22:17 UTC
Hi,

Is everyone noticing a delay in sane-devel email arriving or is it
just me? Mails send to the list arrive at mostang.com pretty quick
(seconds to minutes) and show up in the archive. But they take up to
15 hours to reach me. E.g. I can see three answers to "stupid question
about SCSI" in the archive but none has arrived here until now.

For me, the delay occurs somewhere between mostang.com accepting the
mails and sending them to the recipients. That could also be a problem
with my provider but Abel D. told me about similar problems.

Anyone else?

Bye,
Henning
Gene Heskett
2003-01-24 01:30:50 UTC
Post by Henning Meier-Geinitz
Hi,
Is everyone noticing a delay in sane-devel email arriving or is it
just me? Mails send to the list arrive at mostang.com pretty quick
(seconds to minutes) and show up in the archive. But they take up
to 15 hours to reach me. E.g. I can see three answers to "stupid
question about SCSI" in the archive but none has arrived here
until now.
For me, the delay occurs somewhere between mostang.com accepting
the mails and sending them to the recipients. That could also be
a problem with my provider but Abel D. told me about similar
problems.
Anyone else?
Probably not the least bit related Henning, but I'm having the same
problem with localmail to root here. Many hours (up to 36 so far)
late, and often out of order.
--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-***@500mhz 320M
Gerhard Jaeger
2003-01-31 08:21:45 UTC
Hi,
Post by Henning Meier-Geinitz
Hi,
Is everyone noticing a delay in sane-devel email arriving or is it
just me? Mails send to the list arrive at mostang.com pretty quick
(seconds to minutes) and show up in the archive. But they take up
to 15 hours to reach me. E.g. I can see three answers to "stupid
question about SCSI" in the archive but none has arrived here
until now.
For me, the delay occurs somewhere between mostang.com accepting
the mails and sending them to the recipients. That could also be
a problem with my provider but Abel D. told me about similar
problems.
Anyone else?
in the meantime yes! Any explanations?

Gerhard
Henning Meier-Geinitz
2003-01-31 12:05:21 UTC
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:21:45AM +0100, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
[slow sane-devel]
Post by Gerhard Jaeger
in the meantime yes! Any explanations?
No. I've asked David Mosberger-Tang about the delays but haven't
gotten an answer.

Bye,
Henning
Mark Plowman
2003-01-31 12:15:53 UTC
Hi,
Post by Henning Meier-Geinitz
Hi,
Is everyone noticing a delay in sane-devel email arriving or is
it just me? Mails send to the list arrive at mostang.com pretty
quick > > >(seconds to minutes) and show up in the archive. But
they take up to 15 hours to reach me. E.g. I can see three
answers to "stupid question about SCSI" in the archive but none
has arrived here until now.
For me, the delay occurs somewhere between mostang.com accepting
the mails and sending them to the recipients. That could also
be a problem with my provider but Abel D. told me about similar
problems.
Anyone else?
in the meantime yes! Any explanations?
Remotely diagnosing mail problems is a little tricky, but...

Inspecting the mail headers for a typical posting, everything is find
on the way *to* the list, Mailman gets it and passes it back to
panda's postfix for re-distribution, and *then* it encounters a
massive delay.

Now postfix is well know to be *good* at mailing-list work, so
something must be a bit wonky with the configuration. Running
"pflogsumm.pl" on the mail log files might reveal the problems, or,
alternatively, simply inspecting the logs.

Postfix does need good, reliable DNS services to work efficiently.
Has panda got a local (caching) name server?

Greetings

Mark Plowman (also postfix administrator!)
then each of us still has one object.
If each of us have one idea, and we exchange them,
then each of us now has two ideas.

Do *not* use the following address, it's just a "spam trap":
***@plowman.xs4all.nl
Thomas Soumarmon
2003-01-31 12:18:25 UTC
Could the delay be due to the Slammer worm ?
If the mailing server has a Microsoft SQL/Server it could be the case.
I think of it because it began by the same date.
Hi,
Henning Meier-Geinitz
2003-02-01 11:03:22 UTC
Hi,
Post by Thomas Soumarmon
Could the delay be due to the Slammer worm ?
No, the delay started about one week before the worm.
Post by Thomas Soumarmon
If the mailing server has a Microsoft SQL/Server it could be the case.
You must be kidding :-)

David knows about it. Looks like a bandwidth limitation problem.

Bye,
Henning

Sergey Vlasov