Epson Stylus SX410 is not recognized although it is listed as supported
kltrg
2010-05-13 19:41:32 UTC
Hi,

the Epson Stylus SX410 hybrid printer/scanner is listed as supported on the SANE website but scanning in Linux doesn't work nevertheless.

I tried xsane and gscan2pdf and they both don't work so my guess is that the problem is in one of the underlaying layers. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and a bug was filed in Launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xsane/+bug/475185) but nobody could tell me which component was causing the problem so I thought I'll ask here.

'sane-find scanner' gives me 'found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0851) at libusb:002:006' and tells me to try 'scanimage -L' which tells that no scanners could be identified. I'm not quite sure what this means. Is my scanner recognized but not (yet) supported?

How can I finally get my scanner working with Linux? Is there some known fix or workaround? Is this a SANE issue or is this related to some other software component?

I can provide more information to help you to narrow down the problem if you just tell me which command line output I should send you.

I'd really appreciate if you could help me. Thanks!

kltrg
m. allan noah

2010-05-13 23:10:01 UTC
Post by m. allan noah
What version of sane-backends (aka libsane) are you running? Did you
check our support page for that exact version?
Ubuntu 10.04 ships with sane-backends 1.0.20.
The SX410 was added in sane-backends 1.0.21, to the epson2 backend.

The epkowa backend supports it as of iscan-2.20, released 2009-07-02.
You can get the latest iscan version 2.24.0 from

http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/download/

# click the All-In-One icon
Post by m. allan noah
Post by kltrg
[...]
Hope this helps,
- --
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2 FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS CORPORATION
FSF Associate Member #1962 Help support software freedom
http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962
kltrg
2010-05-14 10:00:50 UTC
I'm sorry. I forgot to mention the version. 'scanimage --version' gives me 'scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.20; backend version 1.0.20'.

I now noticed that there is a support page for each version which I didn't see at all before. Obviously, I need to search for my scanner in http://www.sane-project.org/sane-backends-1.0.20.html#S-EPSON2 but it isn't there. That means it is unsupported in 1.0.20. Sorry for not reading closely enough.
I now took a closer look to all those lists on your website and found the one that said the SX410 was supported. It's the "Current Stable SANE Version", which at this point is 1.0.21 I installed (before reading Olafs message) using a PPA from a Canonical employee (https://launchpad.net/~robert-ancell/+archive/sane-backends). 'scanimage --version' now gives me 'scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.21cvs; backend version 1.0.21' but the problem is still the same: 'sane-find-scanner' detects the SX410 but 'scanimage -L' sais it's still not supported.

I do now have the 1.0.21 backends, right? So why would I need to install the epkowa backend as Olafs suggested?

Thanks for your help so far!
m. allan noah

kltrg
2010-05-14 10:44:46 UTC
'sudo scanimage -L' doesn't work either, so it seems not to be a permission issue.
m. allan noah
2010-05-14 10:47:08 UTC
Try this:

SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2=255 scanimage -L

and lets see what that gives.

oh- and is it possible that the updated sane version failed to update
the contents of /etc/sane.d? those config files must match the running
version of sane...

allan
kltrg
2010-05-14 10:55:20 UTC
Post by m. allan noah
SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2=255 scanimage -L
It gives me:
:~$ SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2=255 scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of epson2 to 255.
[epson2] sane_epson2_init: sane-backends 1.0.21cvs
[epson2] epson2 backend, version 1.0.124
[epson2] sane_epson2_get_devices
[epson2] probe_devices
[epson2] free_devices
[epson2] attach_one_config: len = 10, line = scsi EPSON
[epson2] attach_one_config: len = 3, line = usb
[epson2] attach_one_config: len = 17, line = net autodiscovery
[epson2] e2_network_discovery, sent discovery packet
[epson2] e2_network_discovery, end
[epson2] sane_epson2_get_devices - results:

[epson2] sane_epson2_exit
[epson2] free_devices
Post by m. allan noah
oh- and is it possible that the updated sane version failed to update
the contents of /etc/sane.d? those config files must match the running
version of sane...
How can I find out? I didn't get any error messages while upgrading.

kltrg
m. allan noah

kltrg
2010-05-14 12:07:29 UTC
I added the line and now I get:
:~$ scanimage -L
device `epson2:libusb:002:008' is a Epson PID 0851 flatbed scanner

This sounds good and xsane and gscan2pdf recognize the scanner but I still can't scan. I always get an error message: 'Failed to start scanner: Operation not supported'.
m. allan noah
2010-05-14 12:40:07 UTC
Try it with the DEBUG flag I gave before...

allan
kltrg
m. allan noah
2010-05-14 16:01:24 UTC
well, that looks good, do the same when trying to scan:

SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2=255 xsane 2>xsane.log

go until it gives you an error, and send the log here (compress it if large)

allan
kltrg

m. allan noah

kltrg

m. allan noah

Chris Bagwell
2010-05-14 18:43:55 UTC
I don't know the answer but probably the failure is related to this
part of the log file:

[epson2] using built in CCT profile
[epson2] esci_set_color_correction_coefficients
[epson2] esci_set_color_correction_coefficients: not supported

What version of sane-backends are you running? Looking at current
git, that code path is protected by an if(hw_supports). Not sure how
your getting it unless its old software.

Chris
kltrg
2010-05-15 16:11:17 UTC
Post by Chris Bagwell
What version of sane-backends are you running?
Here it is again:
:~$ scanimage --version
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.21cvs; backend version 1.0.21
I installed it using this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~robert-ancell/+archive/sane-backends
Post by Chris Bagwell
Looking at current
git, that code path is protected by an if(hw_supports). Not sure how
your getting it unless its old software.
I'm sorry but I don't quit understand what you are saying here. I'm not a coder.

kltrg
Olaf Meeuwissen
2010-05-17 00:19:31 UTC
Post by m. allan noah
That seems more complete, but now we have to wait for someone with
more experience with epson protocol....
I guess I qualify ;-)

As Chris mentioned, the call to esci_set_color_correction_coefficients
is definitely not right. The odd thing is that it gets called at all.

Looking at the code for 1.0.21 (and git master), there is no way that
this command should get called. Digging a bit further, this has been
fixed in

http://git.debian.org/?p=sane/sane-backends.git;a=commitdiff;h=e75d6e5e0cb223beb47b6756c56c4798082fe9d1

which is in 1.0.21. Looks like the other person is using a snapshot
from before that.

Hope this helps,
- --
Chris Bagwell
2010-05-17 01:30:08 UTC
I think you nailed it. I looked at the link for the PPA and its a snapshot
of sane-backends from February and the git commit Olaf found is dated April.

So, kltrg, you'll need to get a newer version of sane-backends. Hopefully,
you can get the officially released 1.0.21 by now.

Chris

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Olaf Meeuwissen
kltrg
2010-05-21 07:48:49 UTC
Post by Chris Bagwell
So, kltrg, you'll need to get a newer version of sane-backends. Hopefully,
you can get the officially released 1.0.21 by now.
I tried to get the official release but it wasn't so easy.

Firstly, I tried to contact the person who own the PPA, no response.

Secondly, I tried to compile sane from source which didn't quite work. I don't know what I was doing wrong but whatever I did, the result was the same: no support for my scanner.

Thirdly, I looked into the Debian repositories and found the libsane and sane-utils packages (http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/libsane/download, http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/sane-utils/download) and installed them manually in Ubuntu. 'scanimage --version' now gives me 'http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/sane-utils/download' without any 'cvs' so I'm running the stable release, right?
Sadly, the scanner is less supported it was using the snapshot in the PPA. 'scanimage -L' doesn't list it any more.

I don't know what to do any more.
Alesh Slovak
2010-05-24 23:25:02 UTC
Post by kltrg
Thirdly, I looked into the Debian repositories and found the libsane and sane-utils packages (http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/libsane/download, http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/sane-utils/download) and installed them manually in Ubuntu. 'scanimage --version' now gives me 'http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/sane-utils/download' without any 'cvs' so I'm running the stable release, right?
Sadly, the scanner is less supported it was using the snapshot in the PPA. 'scanimage -L' doesn't list it any more.
Could this be a permissions issue? Can you scan as root?
--
Alesh Slovak Linux Team -- AVASYS Corporation
***@avasys.jp http://avasys.jp
kltrg
2010-05-25 07:40:28 UTC
Post by Alesh Slovak
Could this be a permissions issue? Can you scan as root?
No. 'sudo scanimage -L' says no scanners where found, too.

I still didn't manage to scan although I now have 1.0.21 installed.
Alesh Slovak
2010-05-25 23:28:21 UTC
Post by kltrg
Post by Alesh Slovak
Could this be a permissions issue? Can you scan as root?
No. 'sudo scanimage -L' says no scanners where found, too.
I still didn't manage to scan although I now have 1.0.21 installed.
Using Debian packages on Ubuntu is not exactly guaranteed to work.

Have you tried this PPA?
https://launchpad.net/~pzinin/+archive/pashazz-sane

Happy scanning,
--
Alesh Slovak Linux Team -- AVASYS Corporation
***@avasys.jp http://avasys.jp
kltrg
2010-05-26 08:06:48 UTC
I hadn't found this PPA during my previous searches. I installed the packages from there and I now have 'scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.22git; backend version 1.0.22' but the 'scanimage -L' still doesn't detect my scanner, even when I'm sudo.
m. allan noah
2010-05-26 12:50:29 UTC
Ok, lets get a debugging log:

SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2=255 scanimage -L 2>sx410.log

then send sx410.log to the list, compressed if its > 100K.

allan
kltrg

m. allan noah
2010-05-31 17:06:29 UTC
well, that was short. You DID install libusb-devel package before
building sane-backends, right?

allan
Post by kltrg
Here is the debug log.
kltrg
kltrg
2010-05-31 17:31:23 UTC
I was using a PPA to upgrad sane (https://launchpad.net/~pzinin/+archive/pashazz-sane) so I didn't need it, right?
Post by m. allan noah
well, that was short. You DID install libusb-devel package before
building sane-backends, right?
allan
Post by kltrg
Here is the debug log.
kltrg
m. allan noah
2010-05-31 17:33:30 UTC
I guess not, but do we know for sure that the ppa was built with
libusb support? try this:

SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=15 SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2=255 scanimage -L 2>sx410-2.log

allan
Post by m. allan noah
well, that was short. You DID install libusb-devel package before
building sane-backends, right?
allan
Post by kltrg
Here is the debug log.
kltrg
m. allan noah
2010-05-31 17:50:31 UTC
well, around line 2424, the epson2 backend is probing for scanners,
and it does not specifically look for yours.

so, try adding this line to /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf

usb 0x4b8 0x0851

allan
I don't know anything about this PPA.
Here's the ne logfile.