[janitorial] musl builder, PDF SANE Standard, __sane_unused__
2016-07-18 13:18:42 UTC
Hi all,

I had expected at least some reaction to my announcement[1] of the
switch to libusb-1.0 as the new default for USB but, failing any, I
assume that everyone is happy and all is well.

[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2016-July/034654.html

Since the switch, I have:

- added an Alpine Linux builder to my GitLab CI setup. This compiles
against the musl C library. Results are available for all builders
via the pipelines[2] page. Just select a build and navigate to the
build:alpine-3.4-musl results page.

[2] https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/pipelines

- added a PDF version of the SANE Standard document (also available via
the website) and refactored the conversion of that document a bit. I
dislike keeping derived files in the repository so added the logic to
convert *.fig files and dropped the generated *.eps files. Obsoleted
LaTeX bits have been replaced as well.

- fixed a bunch of compiler warnings and made all backend code use the
same __sane_unused__ define instead of also using UNUSEDARG. We are
getting closer and closer to zero warnings on build:debian-8-full.
By all means, have a look at the remaining warnings on that build and
beat me to fixing them!

# Still looking at and for a decent replacement for dlh to convert the
# SANE Standard document from LaTeX to HTML.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2 FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
GnuPG key: F84A2DD9/B3C0 2F47 EA19 64F4 9F13 F43E B8A4 A88A F84A 2DD9
Johannes Meixner
2016-07-19 09:19:23 UTC
Hello,
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
I had expected at least some reaction to my announcement[1]
of the switch to libusb-1.0 as the new default for USB but,
failing any, I assume that everyone is happy and all is well.
[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2016-July/034654.html
only for confirmation that I am happy,
see
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2015-October/034039.html
(excerpt):
At openSUSE we use libusb-1 since openSUSE 12.2
(i.e. we use libusb-1 since about April 2012)
via "configure --enable-libusb_1_0".
I am not aware of issues because of this.
Louis Lagendijk
2016-07-20 11:07:02 UTC
Post by Louis Lagendijk
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Post by Johannes Meixner
At openSUSE we use libusb-1 since openSUSE 12.2
(i.e. we use libusb-1 since about April 2012)
via "configure --enable-libusb_1_0".
I am not aware of issues because of this.
Thanks!
Fedora is using libusb-1 as well. according to
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2013-Septemb
er/116459.html
this has been the case since at least 1.0.23/ Fedora 18 i 2013
Thanks for the feedback.

BTW, I have been thinking of adding a Fedora based builder using clang
and use its scan-build static analyser so that everyone can see how
good/bad the code is after all the warnings are gone :-)

Interested in helping out with the Dockerfile?

Hope this helps,
2016-07-27 13:16:52 UTC
Post by Olaf Meeuwissen
Post by Louis Lagendijk
Fedora is using libusb-1 as well. according to
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2013-September/116459.html
this has been the case since at least 1.0.23/ Fedora 18 i 2013
Thanks for the feedback.
BTW, I have been thinking of adding a Fedora based builder using clang
and use its scan-build static analyser so that everyone can see how
good/bad the code is after all the warnings are gone :-)
Interested in helping out with the Dockerfile?
Never mind ;-)

I've just pushed a Dockerfile and the corresponding image to GitLab.
See

https://gitlab.com/sane-project/ci-envs

for details.

A builder has been added to the sane-backends/.gitlab-ci.yml file in
1859803 and the build results should be up shortly after the next
mirror sync of the GitLab repository with Alioth. See

https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/pipelines

and links therein for the latest build pipeline results.

For pretty pictures of the (dumbed-down) build results, see

https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/graphs/master/ci

The picture for the Fedora 24 builds, either with Clang (3.8) or GCC
(6.1), are *not* pretty, though. Scores upon scores of new warnings.
It doesn't really seem to matter much with compiler is used.

Running make under scan-build is pretty slow (on my machine at least)
and doesn't seem to be particularly productive right now. At first
sight, a good deal of the results appear to be due to the compiler
warnings.

Hope this helps,