[sane-devel] Trying to get up to speed with a "Mustek PageExpress A3 USB 1200 PRO" ...
Gjermund Skogstad
2017-11-15 05:14:29 UTC
sudo sane-find-scanner, i e
Will do, just a bit busy right now.
I got tinking tho; how come MUSTEK distrubiting a back-end that's alledgedly
is broken?
http://www.mustek.com.tw/support/driver-manual-downloads.html#product=ScanExpress%20A3%20USB%201200%20Pro
ftp://ftp2.mustek.com.tw/pub/new/driver/0_Old%20Products/ScanExpress%20A3%20USB%201200%20Pro/Linux/1LV1019/A3USB1200Pro-040B-20141209.zip

So I've spendt some time researching their binary deb-package dated 2014 and
have got it working fine on 32bit 'buntu 12.04. I'm in process of compiling a
report on this research, planning to post it shortly (day or three), and are
planning to dis-assemble the packages (binaries/source) available from MUSTEK
to see if I get it to build on both 32 and 64bit 12.04. If this works the next
step would be to try getting it to build on current libs ...

I could be wrong, but I'm wondering if 'we' may have made a bit of a hash of
it trying to build it ... And this business of hacking it to one specific
scanner needs an audit. I'm not shure where I read it, but I wonder if it was
intended (by MUSTEK) to autodetect ...

I really don't know (all) the answers, but I feel we ought to :)
Can you run sudo sane-find-scanne in qira or strace and see what it does?
https://github.com/Pardus-Kurumsal/xsane/search?utf8=✓&q=mustek&type=
I believe there is a source repo somewhere.
Hi all.
It's been 12 years since I last posted to a debian mailman list
(deb-edu), and
now it's in hope of getting somewhere useful with this Mustek A3
scanner I've
got on my table.
To be honest; I'm properly confused. By searching the net for
information on
this scanner, I get the impression that either all work has stalled or
I'm
missing out on some important bits of information.
About the scanner
On the back if it, it reads "Mustek PageExpress A3 USB 1200 PRO".
'lsusb' says
"Bus 002 Device 006: ID 055f:040b Mustek Systems, Inc. ScanExpress A3
USB 1200
PRO".
'sudo lsusb -v -d 055f:040b' starts off
"Bus 002 Device 006: ID 055f:040b Mustek Systems, Inc. ScanExpress A3
USB 1200
PRO
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x055f Mustek Systems, Inc.
idProduct 0x040b ScanExpress A3 USB 1200 PRO
bcdDevice 1.00
iManufacturer 1 Hewlett-Packard.
iProduct 2 USB2.0 Scanner
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
[...]"
'sudo usb-devices' gives
"[...]
T: Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 6 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=055f ProdID=040b Rev=01.00
S: Manufacturer=Hewlett-Packard.
S: Product=USB2.0 Scanner
C: #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=100mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
[...]"
'sudo sane-find-scanner' doesn't find it
Nor does 'sudo scanimage -L' (obviously).
http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=mustek&mo
del=&bus=any
lists it as a "BearPaw 6400 TA Pro" ..?
Various forums around claims this scanner to work with the mustek_usb2
back-
end, but all I can find in SANE-site says mustek_usb2 only supports a
single
scanner (for now).
Although I've used SANE since the dark ages (-98), I'm no SANE-guru by
any
length. I'm a rusty developer, been out of the game for years due to
health-
issues, and haven't coded C other than hacking the odd SCSI-driver and
scripting servers for remote management. So I might just be able to
pitch in
if wanted/needed, but will need help in getting into the
SANE-architecture and
libs coding C. (I have mostly worked with Java, C# and some
web-development.
Hacking some drivers and tracing crashes more than 15 years ago doesn't
really
help that much.)
So I really want to get this thing working, I am willing and possibly
even
able to pitch in, but needs someone to ask seriously stupid questions
to get
going.
Q1: What's the status on this scanner/these scanners back-end?
The most recent clone I found on !gh https://github.com/Pardus-> >>> Kurumsal/xsane 14 days ago; did not check the origin of the repo though
Q2: Are there someone working on it now?
I have no idea.
Q3: Are there available some architectural documents for SANE?
http://www.xsane.org/doc/sane-xsane-doc.html
Hope you've got some time for all this
:)
Gjermund (Norway)