"no devices available"
e***@eartherdesigns.com
2008-06-18 00:03:04 UTC
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. I gave been trying
to get my old HP ScanJet 3300C to work all afternoon. Have searched
here and there (including Ubuntu Forums) and tried several possible
fixes but nothing has worked.

xsane used to be able to run this scanner perfectly but I haven't had
to use it in a while. Since the last time I fired it up, I moved to a
new computer (but used the old hard drive with Gutsy on it). In order
to fix hibernation issues on the new hardware, I am running the Hardy
2.6.24-16-generic kernel on Gutsy (don't want to upgrade to Gutsy
quite yet). I can still run xsane on Gutsy in Virtual Box (with the
Gutsy kernel) but I can't run xsane on Hardy in Virtual Box. So it
looks like the problem is Hardy.

I added users to the scanners group as suggested in several places but
it's still a no go. Is there anyway to get this working?

Thanks for your patience.
e***@eartherdesigns.com
2008-06-18 14:10:41 UTC
Thought I would post a screenie of the device manager info for the
ScanJet. Why can't xsane find it?

m. allan noah
2008-06-18 14:36:01 UTC
xsane is not the problem, but sane probably is. run this at the
command line as root:

SANE_DEBUG_NIASH=255 scanimage -L

and post the output to this list.

allan
http://www.eartherdesigns.com/ss/scanjet.jpg
m. allan noah
2008-06-18 15:03:16 UTC
please- always include the list on your responses, as others might
have more ideas.

lets see the output of running lsusb

allan
Thanks for responding. Here's the ouput. What next?
~# SANE_DEBUG_NIASH=255 scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of niash to 255.
[niash] sane_init
[niash] Looking for ScanJet 3300C...
[niash] Looking for ScanJet 3400C...
[niash] Looking for ScanJet 4300C...
[niash] Looking for HP ScanJet 4300c...
[niash] Looking for Snapscan Touch...
[niash] Looking for Office Scanner USB 19200...
[niash] sane_get_devices
[niash] sane_exit
e***@eartherdesigns.com
2008-06-18 15:12:02 UTC
NOTHING! Even though I have an external USB drive and USB thumb drive
mounted!! What's up with that??

Sorry I didn't catch that reply didn't go to the list.
m. allan noah
2008-06-18 15:29:54 UTC
Post by e***@eartherdesigns.com
NOTHING! Even though I have an external USB drive and USB thumb drive
mounted!! What's up with that??
dont know. obviously you have some sort of system problem lower than
sane. what were you saying about running the wrong kernel or some
such? if your kernel version and system tools dont match, things could
be messed up.

e***@eartherdesigns.com
2008-06-18 16:50:20 UTC
"if your kernel version and system tools don't match, things could be
messed up." I think you're right about that.

Let me recap. Gutsy was having a hibernation problem with my new
hardware (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=760026) so it
was suggested by several gurus I trust to give the Hardy kernel a try
on Gutsy as per this thread -
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=646755 This was before Hardy
was released.

It fixed the hibernation issue and hasn't affected anything else that
I am aware of. Wine, Compiz, XAMPP etc all run as before.

Just to confirm, I booted an old machine that has a Hardy install.
xsane launched and lsusb worked properly too. (Should have thought
to try that myself before posting.)

Is there any way to get this working with my current kernel/OS
mismatch? Or will I have to go to Virtual Box or another machine when
I need to scan something until I upgrade?

Thanks for zeroing in on the root of the problem. Till now, I have
been blown away with how easy to use and reliable xsane has been. It
handles the legacy scanner better than the funky drivers XP offered
way back when . . . LOL!
m. allan noah
2008-06-18 17:34:15 UTC
[...]
gutsy and hardy are greek words to me, not useful version numbers, so
i think you had best ask on an ubuntu specific board :)

allan
e***@eartherdesigns.com
e***@eartherdesigns.com
2008-06-21 00:59:27 UTC
Good news. I have made some progress after upgrading the Hardy udev
package but still not out of the woods.

lsusb now prints out correctly:

~$ lsusb
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 03f0:0205 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3300c
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 04a9:30fd Canon, Inc. PowerShot A610 (normal
mode)/PowerShot A610 (PTP mode)
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

And Sane now finds the scanner:

~# SANE_DEBUG_NIASH=255 scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of niash to 255.
[niash] sane_init
[niash] Looking for ScanJet 3300C...
[niash] _AttachUsb: found libusb:006:003
[niash] niash: _ReportDevice 'libusb:006:003'
[niash] Looking for ScanJet 3400C...
[niash] Looking for ScanJet 4300C...
[niash] Looking for HP ScanJet 4300c...
[niash] Looking for Snapscan Touch...
[niash] Looking for Office Scanner USB 19200...
[niash] sane_get_devices
device `niash:libusb:006:003' is a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3300C
flatbed scanner
[niash] sane_exit

However, when launched, Sane spits out this error:

Failed to open device 'niash:libusb:006:002': Device busy.

Any ideas?

FWIW, the camera is having problems too. Just in case it might be
helpful, here's the error:

"An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB
device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted). Make
sure no other program or kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680,
spca50x) is using the device and you have read/write access to the
device."

Thanks again for your expertise and patience.
allan
k***@banach.math.auburn.edu
2008-06-21 04:13:55 UTC
Hi,

Don't know about the scanner, but I do know a bit about the internals of
libgphoto2. The problem with the scanner is most probably similar to what
appears to happen with the camera:

With approximately 99% probability, I would say that your problem with the
camera is a permissions problem. Quite likely, what has happened is that
the camera and perhaps the scanner also, is not listed in any of the
appropriate files in /etc/udev/rules.d in spite of the fact that you have
upgraded udev. Either that, or along with the upgraded udev the rules are
not what you expect. For example, the libgphoto2.rules might expect you,
as a user, to belong to a group called "camera" or some variation on the
same theme. One of the things that you might do to try to localize the
problem is to try running these devices as root. If that works, then
definitely it is a permissions problem and you need to create the right
entries in the libgphoto2.rules file and the libsane.rules files, which
are suitable for yourself, or if you do find entries in those files for
these devices (look for the USB Vendor:Product number combination) and it
wants your userid to belong to some group and it does not, then either add
yourself to the group or change the rules file to let you do what you
want. By all means, too, you can contact Ubuntu and ask them just exactly
what they have in mind about how they intend for things like this to be
done in Hardy Heron. I do not know how they are handling such things as
upgrades because I am not using Ubuntu and instead I usually deal with
things like this by hand-editing the affected files.

Sorry that there are these problems with permissions, but the alternative
is that these
problems are not under control and then we would have a Linux with all
the
lack of security that is found in Windows. Clearly, none of us want that.
But in return for the care about security comes some occasional
inconvenience, in the form of problems like this.

I hope this helps.

Theodore Kilgore
2008-06-21 05:20:21 UTC
Yes, you are correct that it is a permissions problem,

I finally got the camera working properly by editing
/etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules as per this thread:

I can now run xsane as root but not as user. I have looked through
Groups settings several times and everything looks OK so I'm guessing
I'll need to do more hand-editing.

I'm too tired to do any more with this tonight but tomorrow I will
revisit your comments and see where I can go with them.

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this.
2008-06-21 16:00:35 UTC
Well, it seems that you are well on the way to solving the problems. What
you have to do about the camera ought to be quite similar to what you have
to do about the scanner. The reason why I cannot give you more specific
advice is that I have no idea of the way that Hardy Heron is setting up
these kinds of things. There are all kinds of ways to do it. Some
examples:

let root only run the given class of usb devices

let all users run the given class of usb devices

let only one user run the given class of usb devices

let a group do it, for example a group called "scanner" and if it is done
this way then any given user who is supposed to have access to the scanner
needs to get added to the group, a separate operation.

In all of the above, for "scanner" you can substitute "camera" of course.
And by all means, you should finish the job in a manner which is
compatible with Hardy Heron. If they want you to use a group, then use a
group. Call it what they called it for the rest of the scanners (cameras).
And so on.

Now, I am just curious. Is there a specific line for your camera in the
libgphoto2.rules file? If so, then what does it say? If that line is set
up correctly, then IMHO the camera ought to work. If it is a PTP camera,
then PTP support is done through the libgphoto2 PTP driver. If it requires
some proprietary Canon driver, then that is supported through the
libgphoto2 Canon driver. In either event, the permissions given in
libgphoto2.rules ought to suffice for access to the camera, and AFAICT
there ought to be no need at all for a more general statement in the
permissions.rules file. Similar remarks pertain to the scanner, naturally.

Theodore Kilgore
2008-06-21 16:18:00 UTC
More in depth response to come but I wanted to send a quick note that
the problem has been solved! Buried in the 60 page thread on running
the Hardy kernel on Gutsy, I found the solution!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4335549&postcount=364

I added that file and I can now run xsane as user. I suspect that it
fixed the camera problem too - I realize the other solution was just a
workaround.

Hopefully this thread will be useful for others in the future.

Thanks so much for all your input. I will digest it a bit later -
kinda burned out now.

:)