[sane-devel] SANE needs a GUI like CUPS's 'system-config-printer' to manually add a network scanner.
Hans Deragon
2017-11-05 18:53:29 UTC
Greetings,

I understand that saned is a daemon / API running in the backend, but I
believe that like CUPS's 'system-config-printer', it should come with a
frontend to manage scanners.

I have a network (wifi) scanner setup properly. One of my Linux machine
(a desktop computer) connects to it without any issue. I have setup
that machine with hplip. However, another Linux laptop cannot find it
on the network. I know its IP and I can ping it, figure out the ports
that are open, but there is no GUI to add a scanner.

In fact, I cannot even figure out how to add this scanner via the
terminal. Searching for any reference to it under /etc on the desktop
machine for which it works returns nothing. I have no clue where the
scanner is configured on that machine so I can copy the configuration on
the laptop.

The scanner is part of my MFC "HP Officejet Pro 6978 All-in-one". hplip
requires me to set it up (again!) with a USB cable. But this device is
already setup and I should not have to plug as USB cable to it and
reconfigure it. I should just be able to find it on the network and go
on with it, or at least, add it manually via a GUI.

Has this issue already been discussed? BTW, I am new to this mailing
list and I have no history regarding the SANE project; I am just a
simple user.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon
Simon Matter
2017-11-06 08:25:09 UTC
Post by Hans Deragon
Greetings,
I understand that saned is a daemon / API running in the backend, but I
believe that like CUPS's 'system-config-printer', it should come with a
frontend to manage scanners.
AFAIK system-config-printer is a development of RedHat and has no relation
with CUPS. The only problem here is that RedHat "forgot" to implement
'system-config-scanner' :-)
Post by Hans Deragon
[...]
Here again, AFAIK, HPLIP is a HP thing and not developed by SANE. So I
guess you should send your requests to the HPLIP developers as only they
may be able to help you with the HP specific things.

Regards,
Simon
Alex ARNAUD
2017-11-07 10:04:21 UTC
Hello Hans,

There is program named xsane that could help you.

If you use an HP multifunction printer you can configure it from
system-config-printer and you scanner feature will automatically work.

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager
Hans Deragon
2017-11-25 20:25:54 UTC
Greetings Alex,
Post by Alex ARNAUD
There is program named xsane that could help you.
It does not help. It aborts because it does not found a scanner I use
occasionally, when I am at my friend's house, and it does not find my
scanner, which I am able to ping to and access to from another computer.
Post by Alex ARNAUD
If you use an HP multifunction printer you can configure it from
system-config-printer and you scanner feature will automatically work.
Nope, that is not the case. system-config-printer is only for the
printer side of a MFC device. I can print to my MFC, but I cannot scan
it. As a scanner, it does not exists and I have no means to add it
manually to Linux.

Merci,
Hans Deragon
Hans Deragon
2017-11-26 13:28:09 UTC
Greetings,

I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 MFC. I have two Linux computers at home,
a desktop and a laptop. Both are able to print to it, no problem. I
configured the desktop with hp-setup from hplip, using the USB cable.
That configures the device to use the wifi. Once configured, I
disconnected the USB cable and that desktop computer is able to use the
scanner, no problem. I have another laptop, which I just want to
connect to the same scanner. I do not want to set the scanner up again,
since it is already configured. I just want to tell Sane that there is
a scanner at address 192.168.1.157. Sane fails to detect it, and I have
no clue how to add it using a GUI nor a terminal for that matter.

The should be a GUI feature that allows me to add a scanner the same way
one can add a printer.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon
Post by Alex ARNAUD
If you use an HP multifunction printer you can configure it from
system-config-printer and you scanner feature will automatically work.
Nope, that is not the case. system-config-printer is only for the
printer side of a MFC device. I can print to my MFC, but I cannot scan
it. As a scanner, it does not exists and I have no means to add it
manually to Linux.
I don't understand precisely. Are you talking about HP printers or
Brother MFC one? Brother provides a dedicated command-line tool to
configure both printer and scanner.

Best regards.
Alex ARNAUD
2017-11-27 19:50:34 UTC
Post by Hans Deragon
Greetings,
I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 MFC. I have two Linux computers at home,
a desktop and a laptop. Both are able to print to it, no problem. I
configured the desktop with hp-setup from hplip, using the USB cable.
That configures the device to use the wifi.  Once configured, I
disconnected the USB cable and that desktop computer is able to use the
scanner, no problem.  I have another laptop, which I just want to
connect to the same scanner.  I do not want to set the scanner up again,
since it is already configured.  I just want to tell Sane that there is
a scanner at address 192.168.1.157.  Sane fails to detect it, and I have
no clue how to add it using a GUI nor a terminal for that matter.
The should be a GUI feature that allows me to add a scanner the same way
one can add a printer.
OK, after checking what I do every time when configuring network
multifunction HP devices I've only used system-config-printer without
doing any manual configuration from command-line or from sane.

Which distribution are you using ? Are you using Ubuntu 17.10 ?

Best regards.
to sane-de
Hans Deragon
2017-11-28 12:46:46 UTC
Greetings Alex,

I am not an Sane expert, but what happens in your case, I believe, is
that Sane automatically detects your scanner, regardless of your printer
settings. I bet that if you tried your scanner before adding your
printer, it would have worked.

I am using Ubuntu 16.04.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon
Best regards.
Alex ARNAUD

to sane-
Hans Deragon
2017-11-25 20:31:28 UTC
Greetings Simon,

Isn't this a problem? I thought that Sane, like CUPS, is a generic
standard. So why would my HP MFC's scanner be something HP specific?

Shouldn't there be a way to just tell Sane "Hey, there is a scanner at
IP <xxx> you are unable to detect automatically. Please add it to your
list."?

If a printer is not found, I can add it with system-config-printer. But
if the magic of automatic detection of Sane fails, I cannot add a
scanner manually. This is an important feature that is missing in
Linux, IMHO.

Has this topic been discussed before? I must not be the first to bring
it up.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon
Johannes Meixner
2017-11-27 11:34:22 UTC
Hello,
Post by Hans Deragon
If a printer is not found, I can add it with system-config-printer.
But if the magic of automatic detection of Sane fails,
I cannot add a scanner manually.
I did not read all the details in this mail thread but in general
as far as I understand how the scanner drivers in SANE work
it is not possible for the user to add a scanner manually.
Either a scanner driver can detect the scanner or not.
In general you may have a look at
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners
and therein see in particular the sections
"Scanning via Network" and perhaps also
"Third-Party Scanner Drivers".

I think with scanners it is basically same as with things like
harddisks. Either a kernel driver can detect a harddisk or not.
It is not possible for the user to add a harddisk manually
because when no kernel driver can detect a special harddisk
there is nothing what the user could do any further, except
update his kernel to get hopefully a new/updated driver that
can detect (and use) his special harddisk.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)